LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fin Box Breaking Fins

Bought a new board recently and the fin box (futures)snaps the leading edge fin point that makes contact with the box. I blamed myself for the first broken fin thinking I may have screwed it down to tight... Nope. There is definitely an issue with the fin box after the same box cracked a second fin screwed in just slightly. So not only did I spend 700 on the board, it's broken 2 expensive fins.

Anyone ever have this happen?

Images
    I am not sure what you mean exactly but I snapped a futures fin like this (see picture below) a few weeks ago. Not sure how. I didn't realize it until I got ashore -- so I was surfing for probably at least a half hour w/o one outer fin in my quad setup.

It was a challenge to remove, being I was traveling and I did not have all my tools, and there was nothing to grab. I was able to find a small screw and get it to "bite" and then pulled it out with pliers.

snappedFutures.jpg
    Last edited by capecodcdog; Aug 16, 2014 at 01:15 AM.

Images
    Is your fin tight when you install it? Maybe try to lightly sand the base so it's not so tight when inserting it into the box

It's crazy, I slide the fin in the box, and with one turn, this is what happens. The fin doesn't get seated all the way in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdperson View Post
    It's crazy, I slide the fin in the box, and with one turn, this is what happens. The fin doesn't get seated all the way in the box.
    Might be a dumb question, but there are 2 sized fin boxes, depth wise. Usually the center fin, or trailers are like 1/4 inch and the fronts are 3/4 (I believe). Some fin sets though, the rears/trailer are also deeper. Thats probably not your issue but I dunno. Your not trying to put the deeper 3/4 rear fins into a shallower 1/4 box?

Images
    Wierd... You think it's the angle that the fins/box where seated when they made the board? Maybe the cant is too much??

Never happened to me but I like all blues theory...but it's possible the box was routed too deep prior to box install/poorly installed and by torquing down on the front screw creating a bit too much pressure on the front of that fin...leading to a cracked fin.

Post a pic of the box...