LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Fin Box Breaking Fins

Bought a new board recently and the fin box (futures)snaps the leading edge fin point that makes contact with the box. I blamed myself for the first broken fin thinking I may have screwed it down to tight... Nope. There is definitely an issue with the fin box after the same box cracked a second fin screwed in just slightly. So not only did I spend 700 on the board, it's broken 2 expensive fins.

Anyone ever have this happen?

Images
    I am not sure what you mean exactly but I snapped a futures fin like this (see picture below) a few weeks ago. Not sure how. I didn't realize it until I got ashore -- so I was surfing for probably at least a half hour w/o one outer fin in my quad setup.

It was a challenge to remove, being I was traveling and I did not have all my tools, and there was nothing to grab. I was able to find a small screw and get it to "bite" and then pulled it out with pliers.

snappedFutures.jpg
    Last edited by capecodcdog; Aug 16, 2014 at 02:15 AM.

Images
    Is your fin tight when you install it? Maybe try to lightly sand the base so it's not so tight when inserting it into the box

It's crazy, I slide the fin in the box, and with one turn, this is what happens. The fin doesn't get seated all the way in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdperson View Post
    It's crazy, I slide the fin in the box, and with one turn, this is what happens. The fin doesn't get seated all the way in the box.
    Might be a dumb question, but there are 2 sized fin boxes, depth wise. Usually the center fin, or trailers are like 1/4 inch and the fronts are 3/4 (I believe). Some fin sets though, the rears/trailer are also deeper. Thats probably not your issue but I dunno. Your not trying to put the deeper 3/4 rear fins into a shallower 1/4 box?

Quote Originally Posted by all4blues View Post
    Might be a dumb question, but there are 2 sized fin boxes, depth wise. Usually the center fin, or trailers are like 1/4 inch and the fronts are 3/4 (I believe). Some fin sets though, the rears/trailer are also deeper. Thats probably not your issue but I dunno. Your not trying to put the deeper 3/4 rear fins into a shallower 1/4 box?
    No all the same size.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdperson View Post
    No all the same size.
    Which Futures quad set up has all four fins the same size base? I'm just curious because I've been installing futures quad sets quite a bit for several years, and the rear fins always have the 1/2" base, front fins 3/4" base.