LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Top 3 Hurricane Swells ever

What are your votes for best cane swells ever?

Name of storm, month and year, location/break, and buoy stats if you can remember. A line or two of anecdotes for each will suffice and please spare us a thousand words of non-paragraphed jibberish. If you can link a pic to the storm's track that's cool too.

The one that is yet to arrive.

Maybe one day one of y'all will be good enough to have Morgan Maassen filming
    http://vimeo.com/98306475
    esp 2:40 ...
    Last edited by yankee; Aug 18, 2014 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    The one that is yet to arrive.
    or it might have.
    though extra tropical THE PERFECT STORM (yes, that one aka halloween swell 1991) was the one by which
    all others will be measured. OCNJ solid 10ft sets and rideable.

2nd place) NORIDA - another extra-tropical entity that sent an entire day of swell with ACNJ never ever better.

Felix, 8/95. it just sat there pumping surf to LI.
    that whole Summer was pretty epic on long island. unless it was chest high or better people did not even bother paddling out...

Quote Originally Posted by daveg View Post
    Felix, 8/95. it just sat there pumping surf to LI.
    that whole Summer was pretty epic on long island. unless it was chest high or better people did not even bother paddling out...

ohh man

+1 felix

Summer of 95 featured five or six solid tropical swells that lit up the east coast. If you weren't around that year it would be hard to even relate how good it was. As mentioned above, Felix was out there sending us a pulse for almost two weeks.

Map of 1995
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_At...ummary_map.png

Notice how a couple of storms looped back on themselves that year. Nothing like it in my 32 years of surfing.

Images
    The best surf I have ever had the pleasure of riding was at Holden Beach, NC during Hurricane Sandy. I was with good ol' Trevolution, who is currently fighting fires out in Washington i.e. FEMA youth (thought you all might wanna know his whereabouts). I am sure at least one of the members on this forums had seen it or at least been out.

Holden beach itself wasn't the gem, it was the inlet, about a quarter mile out. The swell direction was so perfect. The sandbar extending from the inlet outward toward the east brought in head high reeling left barrels. It looked like skeleton bay. Anyone else get to enjoy like I did that day?

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by superbust View Post
    The best surf I have ever had the pleasure of riding was at Holden Beach, NC during Hurricane Sandy. I was with good ol' Trevolution, who is currently fighting fires out in Washington i.e. FEMA youth (thought you all might wanna know his whereabouts). I am sure at least one of the members on this forums had seen it or at least been out.

Holden beach itself wasn't the gem, it was the inlet, about a quarter mile out. The swell direction was so perfect. The sandbar extending from the inlet outward toward the east brought in head high reeling left barrels. It looked like skeleton bay. Anyone else get to enjoy like I did that day?
    only in photos my man, only in photos...i wish there was more documentation of that swell.

Quote Originally Posted by superbust View Post

I was going to say Holden for Earl a few years back. Same type of thing at the inlet, 1ft overhead reeling lefts. Did not get there for Sandy so I can't compare the two but I have heard Sandy was awesome.