LOGIN | REGISTER

View Poll Results: What would you do

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kept surfing in that spot

    21 31.34%
  • Walked down the beach to a new spot nearby

    25 37.31%
  • Sounded the alarm! and demanded everyone get out of the water

    5 7.46%
  • Gone home

    16 23.88%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76
  1. #1

    What would you do, shark sighting

    I surf regularly at the point on BHI, NC. known as a sharky spot.

    I paddle out a little past the sandbar (water is only about stomach deep), I see a 6-8 foot shark about 15-20 feet away from me inside the wave that is about to break in front of me.

    I paddled in immediately, and I told some other kids not to paddle out there, but I walked down to the next sandbar and kept surfing.

    Never saw a fin, and there were probably 35 people in the water, in and around the area.

    Just curious what was the right thing to do. What would you have done?

  2. #2
    same thing happened to my friends and me out on cape cod one time. thought we saw a seal waving at us (which is common), and then we realized it was not a seal flipper/paw, it was a shark fin. we pretty much did the same thing you did. paddled in, and then we watched Mr. Sharky swim down the beach. we told people around us in the water we saw one. so pretty much everyone paddled in. 20 minutes after no sightings we all went back out.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    217
    It depends on the size of the shark. Up here in ri the most dangerous shark would probably be a white. If i saw a white while surfing I'd get out of the water and warn everyone else to. Then I'd probably move spots.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Shoting Piers in Honeyton
    Posts
    2,450
    Every damn time I have surfed BHI I see fins and shadows. Off the point of the east beach near the shoals and where the cape fear meets is bull shark central.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    Every damn time I have surfed BHI I see fins and shadows. Off the point of the east beach near the shoals and where the cape fear meets is bull shark central.
    I know. There are a bunch around, but there is a nice wave there too ...

  6. #6
    I think depending on if your can tell how big it is..... a small one.... ignore. a big one, paddle in.
    if the beach is crowded, tell everyone around you about it and wait it out for about 20 min.
    if you're alone and it was big, personally I would bail on the session/location. if its really good, hit up another spot where more people are.
    Bottom line is, no matter how hard core you are, its just surfing and an elevated risk is not worth the lost limb or life.
    but if small, I say just ignore it, maybe paddle away a bit.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    I think depending on if your can tell how big it is..... a small one.... ignore. a big one, paddle in.
    if the beach is crowded, tell everyone around you about it and wait it out for about 20 min.
    if you're alone and it was big, personally I would bail on the session/location. if its really good, hit up another spot where more people are.
    Bottom line is, no matter how hard core you are, its just surfing and an elevated risk is not worth the lost limb or life.
    but if small, I say just ignore it, maybe paddle away a bit.
    I hear ya. This one was big and very close. I've seen fins before, and that isn't nearly as scary and seeing a brown shadow in the wave in front of you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    1,185
    It all depends if it was Submarine or the harbor master.

  9. #9
    they are always out there, for every fin you see a hundred of them have already swam by you. Don't buy into the shark week hype, they are doing an especially good job fear mongering this year.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    they are always out there, for every fin you see a hundred of them have already swam by you. Don't buy into the shark week hype, they are doing an especially good job fear mongering this year.
    Strongly agree. I feel like a lot of sharks pass by people when there out. There just not interested.