LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    If all the outlets are saying it then it's a fact. We ain't talking questionable windswell here. I think the cane would have to blow due east or west for us not to get stoked.

15 second period…who here has a break that can handle this eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    15 second period…who here has a break that can handle this eh?
    Gotta be at points and reefs I'd think...no BB's made for that on EC per all I've learned here and elsewhere. Even still, that's super long period for us even for points/reefs.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Gotta be at points and reefs I'd think...no BB's made for that on EC per all I've learned here and elsewhere. Even still, that's super long period for us even for points/reefs.
    Is this true? I can't say I have seen too many swells on this coast anywhere near the 15 second range, but the beach breaks on the west coast can handle up to 22 second periods without a problem. Size is also a factor, as beach breaks max out a lot quicker out there than the points and reefs. But, a 6ft@18 second swell on the west coast is super fun beach break material. I mean, if you throw 12ft@22 seconds at the west coast, only a few spots (Blacks etc) can handle it, every beach break out there will max out and close out, but that is because of the overall wave size, rather than the period.

I would assume that a long period swell would be ideal no matter where it hits. 20 seconds is always better than 10 regardless of where it is, at least I thought. Maybe one of our resident surf scientists can break that down for us a little further. I know long periods are uncommon here, but I would think my local spot down here would be epic on a 18-20 second period.

this should be an exciting one but hopefully the wind doesn't make it suck. Our bars are in really nice shape to hold the potential size.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Is this true? I can't say I have seen too many swells on this coast anywhere near the 15 second range, but the beach breaks on the west coast can handle up to 22 second periods without a problem. Size is also a factor, as beach breaks max out a lot quicker out there than the points and reefs. But, a 6ft@18 second swell on the west coast is super fun beach break material. I mean, if you throw 12ft@22 seconds at the west coast, only a few spots (Blacks etc) can handle it, every beach break out there will max out and close out, but that is because of the overall wave size, rather than the period.

I would assume that a long period swell would be ideal no matter where it hits. 20 seconds is always better than 10 regardless of where it is, at least I thought. Maybe one of our resident surf scientists can break that down for us a little further. I know long periods are uncommon here, but I would think my local spot down here would be epic on a 18-20 second period.
    Bro I hear all that. Surfed 23s waves in SoCal I think it was back in January. It was certainly different. I've only been in this game a few seasons but I've seen every swell that's come this way on the EC in that time whether it be a Nor'easter or what have you and 15s closes out here from what I've seen. I'm sure wind has much to go with it too, so I'd love to see 15s with 3mph winds here. The BBs here vs out there are far different in bathymetry and topography aren't they?

Experts please chime in.

15 seconds on this coast for beach breaks will all but close out except for the short barrel and shoulder hoppin. Luckily this swell will only have a 15 second period for a short duration so it may not make a huge difference, regardless it should be fun here!

Im kind of surprised that this cane is even going to produce a 15 sec period but we shall see.

I didn't even check the swell period,im seeing 6-8ft on most of the sites,around 4-6 at 6pm with offshore wind around 6pm right when I get out of work.dont know how the long period is going to hold,regardless im out there

Spicoli is correct, because the wave is such long period it feels the bottom sooner than wind swell. When this happens the wave refracts to the shape of shoreline and because we have that darn thing called a continental shelf and gently sloping bathymetry, it gives long period swells time to wall up.

Here is a link describing the relationship between wave height and period and celerity (wave speed). It also explains mechanisms like refraction, reflection, and diffraction.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/engineering/...bs/07096/4.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    There are spots that will hold it down here, not every spot, but several, when winds switch it'll be pretty