LOGIN | REGISTER

View Poll Results: what would you do if you were on the beach and saw 2 ppl drowning (no lifeguards)

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • paddle out and save them!

39 73.58%
  • wait until its obvious that no one else is going to do anyhing and paddle out to save them

13 24.53%
  • leave and pretend you didnt see anything. they would have sued you anyway

1 1.89%
  • yay summertime!!! lets go down the shawre

2 3.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

saw two people almost drown, what would you do

yesterday morning i surfed south end spring lake, got out of the water around 10AM, walked up the boardwalk and see these two guys who were doing the craziest backstroke ive ever seen. it seriously looked like the most hardcore backstroke. then i see these lifegaurds looking at them from the beach trying to figure out what was going on. Then the guys just started full on panicking and screaming HELLLP HELP ME it was crazy the guy was just going all the way to the bottom and pushing off the bottom of the ocean to burst above the water and then do this backstroke thing then go to the bottom again. lifeguards got on it and ssaved them and im glad they are OK but relieved i didnt have to paddle out and try to help them.. if it was after hours i would feel like i had to do something.

so i have a poll, what would you do?

Images
    Save them! Anyone that has a decent head on their shoulders would do the same.
    Plus me being an ex lifeguard I feel it's my responsibility.

thats what i would do, i was getting ready to do that but then i saw the guards checking it out. i was talking to two other surfers (one was a car salesman and the other was a landscaper - experts) tell me the people can sue you or if you get to them when they are almost dead and get them on the beach and try to give CPR and fail then u r fuct?

Save them, So they can tell the rest of the benny's at DJ's that night about how they should stay out of the ocean.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by windswellsucks View Post
    thats what i would do, i was getting ready to do that but then i saw the guards checking it out. i was talking to two other surfers (one was a car salesman and the other was a landscaper - experts) tell me the people can sue you or if you get to them when they are almost dead and get them on the beach and try to give CPR and fail then u r fuct?
    Well, not sure about the rules nowadays...but when i guarded bystanders were not allowed to interfere with rescues. Even though they felt the need to. I would say if it's off hours and there are no guards do what you gotta.....can't see any harm coming out of trying to be a hero.

Also, some beaches have after hours....like all the guards leave at 5 and there is still a few that need to stay till 7. But after 7 there is no guards at all.

I helped with a save last Friday until the guard got out to the far end of the rip. I usually help with 1 to 5 a year.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Joyner View Post
    I helped with a save last Friday until the guard got out to the far end of the rip. I usually help with 1 to 5 a year.
    Wow.....i'm surprised they let you help.....Kudos to you for being a good citizen. If you try that here in NJ you will get yelled at. I saw the other week Bertha came threw i think on Sat. was the worst of it. Guards were busy all day. And people in general wanted to help...but the guards were yelling at everyone to stay away that they got this.

I think you are missing a spot in your survey for - Go Get Help.

All the points made are very valid. Besides just being held reliable if something wrong happens, you also put your own life at risk by going in after them. While we are all experienced in the water, know our limitations, and can handle and understand the conditions, people in this situation could act sporadically and freak out when you get to them - putting you in the same place they are.

Quote Originally Posted by goin_retro View Post
    I think you are missing a spot in your survey for - Go Get Help.

All the points made are very valid. Besides just being held reliable if something wrong happens, you also put your own life at risk by going in after them. While we are all experienced in the water, know our limitations, and can handle and understand the conditions, people in this situation could act sporadically and freak out when you get to them - putting you in the same place they are.
    I'd save them if i could. In fact this situation happened to me about 10 years ago at 118th street in OC. Mom and daughter in a bad rip after hours and i paddled out and got them both out of the rip and gave the mom my board. i swam the daughter into shallow water then went back out for mom..

I would only do that since i had guard training and know how to react if they try to drown you out of fear.

Images
    WAIT!!!!

Our we talking 2 benny's/guidos?

Just joking I would save them anyway......