LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urchins in pr

1. Urchins in pr

Been to the island a few times, aguadilla, rincon, Isabella, etc. After multiples sessions a day and one hard reef bounce I found that I had stepped and had urchin spikes in my foot and knee. Just wondering how people surf Middles at a low tide man those things are anywhere any tips on reef walking? Spots like jobos you can walk/paddle right out and paddling in shallow water can. Damage your board or fins. Don't wanna sound like a kook but I'd like to save the tweezer harm.

Quote Originally Posted by southjerseysurfer View Post
    Been to the island a few times, aguadilla, rincon, Isabella, etc. After multiples sessions a day and one hard reef bounce I found that I had stepped and had urchin spikes in my foot and knee. Just wondering how people surf Middles at a low tide man those things are anywhere any tips on reef walking? Spots like jobos you can walk/paddle right out and paddling in shallow water can. Damage your board or fins. Don't wanna sound like a kook but I'd like to save the tweezer harm.
    don't step in any crevices or holes, that's where they like to live...only put your feet down in light colored areas of the reef...anything dark or black like a hole or urchin avoid. As soon as you can float without your fins hitting, start paddling. Sometimes it's unavoidable.

Images
    Soak your foot in vinegar itll make the process much easier when removing them. Sometimes they slide right out. Otherwise, its pretty hard to avoid.

always tell people that urchins don't jump - the rocks don't jump either u have to step on them - I did hear that they jump in mexico tho so careful if one has floated over to Puerto rico from there. has something to do with beans in mex - I dunno - anyway u like my seeester - also heard that a little of your moms pee or your best friends moms pee works real well on urchins - bottle some up and bring it with you - pour it on and you good to go
    Last edited by bagus; Aug 22, 2014 at 09:49 PM.

That's one helluva minuscule keyhole at Wilderness.....miss it & life becomes painful

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    don't step in any crevices or holes, that's where they like to live...only put your feet down in light colored areas of the reef...anything dark or black like a hole or urchin avoid. As soon as you can float without your fins hitting, start paddling. Sometimes it's unavoidable.
    also if super shallow - turn board over - then paddle first 10/20 meters - then turn back over.

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    also if super shallow - turn board over - then paddle first 10/20 meters - then turn back over.
    really

I avoid the reef at all costs, in PR... even the cost of scraping the bottom of my board of fins on a rock. But most of all, I try not to put myself in those positions to begin with. Some say it's unavoidable, but I've managed to avoid it my whole life... so far.

double post... sorry... so I'll tell a quick story...

Was surfing this kinda sketchy spot west of San Juan... it's a reef you can paddle out to, but you need to scramble down a cliff to get in in the water in this little cove, then paddle through this really narrow, shallow pass between two rock cliffs. You have to time it right, and paddle when a wave comes through the passage and surges because it's too shallow to paddle through when the water sucks back out. I was standing waiting my turn to get in the water, and I watch this other visiting surfer NOT time it right. As he's paddling the stabs his hand into an urchin. He stops, looks at his hand, than gets off his board and attempts to stand up, stepping on urchins with both feet.

Ba-bye...
    Last edited by LBCrew; Aug 23, 2014 at 06:14 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    double post... sorry... so I'll tell a quick story...

Was surfing this kinda sketchy spot west of San Juan... it's a reef you can paddle out to, but you need to scramble down a cliff to get in in the water in this little cove, then paddle through this really narrow, shallow pass between two rock cliffs. You have to time it right, and paddle when a wave comes through the passage and surges because it's too shallow to paddle through when the water sucks back out. I was standing waiting my turn to get in the water, and I watch this other visiting surfer NOT time it right. As he's paddling the stabs his hand into an urchin. He stops, looks at his hand, than gets off his board and attempts to stand up, stepping on urchins with both feet.

Ba-bye...
    Sounds similar to my buddy jobe at table rock, miss timed wave and got put on his back! Day before thanksgiving.