LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Images

"Atlantic City is the worst spot to surf in NJ"- Joel Tudor

Joel Tudor had this to say via his Instagram about the ASP hosting a longboard event in Atlantic City in coming September.

"Hey ASP DO NOT HOLD your logging event in Atlantic City... this is the risk you are taking by holding contest at **** surf spots- if you thought Huntington was bad- just wait till you take your event to AC!"

The thread went on for about 170 comments where Joel went on and on... most of NJ was laughing at him meanwhile the power teet cali style suckers were sucking hard as usual..

Ok, Joel, just like any other surfer out there, is allowed to have his opinion of waves, people, etc etc. The thing I don't understand is what motivates someone like him, of his stature, to go out of his way to post to the internet- claiming AC as the worst spot in NJ... Obviously anyone who surfs here got a good laugh at that comment and will probably thank Joel for doing his part in keeping our line ups thin... however... something about this doesn't sit right with me as a pseudo fan of Joel's for years...

Isn't Joel supposed to be a working class surfer... Just a regular guy who got lucky with surfing so he didn't have to 'pound nails with his brother'? If thats so then why would he see a town on its knees- trying to find ways to stay relevant and afloat- and kick it to the ground? If Joel is supposed to be "the voice" of longboarding and of the american surfing 'counter culture' then what the hell is the point of singling out a small surf scene in a state that has been getting more coverage than California the past year for no other reason than to take a shlt on it?

If it was some flashy aerialist punter kid who said AC sucks... pretty sure it wouldn't even register... but for Joel Tudor... a guy who has built his brand and his image off of being a "working class surfer" to go out of his way to take a **** on a troubled ACTUAL working class town... makes me scratch my head. In my opinion, The East Coast IS working class surfing!! It aint bay watch over here lol... if you pull up to a popular spot in AC in the winter when its firing you will see mostly 10 year old + cars/SUV's blasted in local stickers... guys who took their work boots off to pull on a 5/4/3...

I guess the point I am trying to make here is that here is a guy- who through out his movies and parts of movies and shorts etc blabs on and on about who he knows, and who inspired him, making sure you know his family -was- working class, that San Diego is a "working class town" and that Joel is just another regular guy who surfs really well... but thats not really true is it. After years of hearing about his character, being told stories about his GIANT inflated ego, then actually watching him rip apart my home town for no reason, which is suffering HARD at the moment as it is already.... Joel Tudor and his wanna be working class apologizers can nose ride off a cliff. Stay in California inside the scene you exploited to make a handsome living off of- the beast coast is tired of your ****.

At the end of the day its all about the Cheddar... and I will never buy another item with his name on it or that was endorsed by him.

Bro you make lots of valid points. That said, the VB cats would KILL to have such pub be spread by notable personalities about their breaks. I bet CB/WB too.

its kinda a sht hole also. longboarding events are like the shortboard events of decades ago. first prize is like $5,000 on a good day i think. the fact is nobody really cares and you shouldn't either

Images
    solid input, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by wavesliderac View Post
    Joel Tudor had this to say via his Instagram about the ASP hosting a longboard event in Atlantic City in coming September.

"Hey ASP DO NOT HOLD your logging event in Atlantic City... this is the risk you are taking by holding contest at **** surf spots- if you thought Huntington was bad- just wait till you take your event to AC!"

The thread went on for about 170 comments where Joel went on and on... most of NJ was laughing at him meanwhile the power teet cali style suckers were sucking hard as usual..

Ok, Joel, just like any other surfer out there, is allowed to have his opinion of waves, people, etc etc. The thing I don't understand is what motivates someone like him, of his stature, to go out of his way to post to the internet- claiming AC as the worst spot in NJ... Obviously anyone who surfs here got a good laugh at that comment and will probably thank Joel for doing his part in keeping our line ups thin... however... something about this doesn't sit right with me as a pseudo fan of Joel's for years...

Isn't Joel supposed to be a working class surfer... Just a regular guy who got lucky with surfing so he didn't have to 'pound nails with his brother'? If thats so then why would he see a town on its knees- trying to find ways to stay relevant and afloat- and kick it to the ground? If Joel is supposed to be "the voice" of longboarding and of the american surfing 'counter culture' then what the hell is the point of singling out a small surf scene in a state that has been getting more coverage than California the past year for no other reason than to take a shlt on it?

If it was some flashy aerialist punter kid who said AC sucks... pretty sure it wouldn't even register... but for Joel Tudor... a guy who has built his brand and his image off of being a "working class surfer" to go out of his way to take a **** on a troubled ACTUAL working class town... makes me scratch my head. In my opinion, The East Coast IS working class surfing!! It aint bay watch over here lol... if you pull up to a popular spot in AC in the winter when its firing you will see mostly 10 year old + cars/SUV's blasted in local stickers... guys who took their work boots off to pull on a 5/4/3...

I guess the point I am trying to make here is that here is a guy- who through out his movies and parts of movies and shorts etc blabs on and on about who he knows, and who inspired him, making sure you know his family -was- working class, that San Diego is a "working class town" and that Joel is just another regular guy who surfs really well... but thats not really true is it. After years of hearing about his character, being told stories about his GIANT inflated ego, then actually watching him rip apart my home town for no reason, which is suffering HARD at the moment as it is already.... Joel Tudor and his wanna be working class apologizers can nose ride off a cliff. Stay in California inside the scene you exploited to make a handsome living off of- the beast coast is tired of your ****.

At the end of the day its all about the Cheddar... and I will never buy another item with his name on it or that was endorsed by him.
    Pretty $hitty. Your right, it says a ton about his character. Any clues as to what his real motive was? It's odd that someone at that level would voice an opinion like that without some gain or loss involved.

Images
    what's the complaint - that AC's a sh*t hole? (well, of course it is - that's part of the charm. hours of fun on the beach and boardwalk, punctuated by gunfire and the occasional armed robbery).

or that it doesn't break? it's been a few years since i've surfed it, but Tennessee Ave under the right conditions is one of the best lefts on the EC. Crystal still goes off when it can - prolly other spots as well since i last spent time there. you could do a lot worse, surf-wise.

Well, look at the positive side of his remarks: people won't go there. More waves for locals.

Besides, Tudor has long been known as a near-total douche canoe. His unprovoked diatribe is par for the douche-canoe course.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    what's the complaint - that AC's a sh*t hole? (well, of course it is - that's part of the charm. hours of fun on the beach and boardwalk, punctuated by gunfire and the occasional armed robbery).

or that it doesn't break? it's been a few years since i've surfed it, but Tennessee Ave under the right conditions is one of the best lefts on the EC. Crystal still goes off when it can - prolly other spots as well since i last spent time there. you could do a lot worse, surf-wise.
    haha yea I'm not arguing that the city isn't broken down in many ways... clearly it has big problems once you step off the beach and into the concrete... However... I live and work here and most of the horribleness that goes on here is from drug use and mental disorders (mostly homelessness is the biggest issue). The criminals, thugs, armed robbers etc really truly stay on their side of town. The occasional tourist-gangster run in does happen and it makes main stream news but its not the norm. This also isn't a claim that AC fires or is some kind of killer top notch break or anything. The point is simply this: I looked up to Joel for years as a surfer and as a person. Now that I am older and can read between the lines a little more; its obvious to me that the surfing was real- everything else is not. The guy plays a roll- and the public eats it up and buys his lifestyle. I won't anymore, and anyone else who still thinks this guy is cool should reconsider, and maybe not keep putting money in his pocket.

Tudors a pretty heavily opinionated fellow, and has strong ties to the days of old. I always hear the "entitlement" in his voice. I think he started the jujitsu stuff just to match his verbal assault. Listen to most of his interviews, he starts a lot of his lines with "I dont care who you are or what you think."

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post

all this. parking at a meter at Tennessee av. and NOT getting your car robbed is like; fun.
    don't know tudor or gaf bout him but can't help but think he got it right cause those who would
    run and win a surfing contest here are likely poor reflections of the vibrant surf community here.