LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    I'm sure the punches on the heavy bag help the most lol

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    x10

.... Round here, I can't tell you how many days I score, albeit nothing epic, pretty fun days that are completely off the radar. Sometimes there are little bumps out there. The tide will magically start producing waist high lines out of no where. There is a lot to be said for just being there. There are so many "Flat" days that really aren't flat.

Can't tell you how many days I actually see a wave, go grab a board and go out. When if I just looked at the cams or the forecast, or the buoys, I would have not even gone to look. I would have just moved on with the day and checked the forecast again the next day.
    My experience exactly - particularly this summer. Those little bumps or "windows of opportunity" that if you weren't there or just went by the reports or forecasts, you'd miss 'em. During the summer, one or two of my boards are on the wax-spotted roof of my car more often than not. I've been lucking out more that striking out. But any time on the water is not really striking out. Get some paddling in. Better than exercising indoors in a gym.

We live 15 miles from the beach, and the Navy base where I work is right on the beach. I'm lucky and probably spoiled in that regard. Surf year-round. I've lived within a half hour from the ocean since 1969, and I will not consider living farther away than that. Closer is better. But if I had to live in Richmond or further away from the ocean, I'd probably need to find another activity. I think it would be too frustrating otherwise.

i grew up my whole life about 1.5 hours (give or take) from the water. still managed to surf a solid 80% of any good hurricane/ winter swell that has come through in recent years. managed to live by the ocean a few summers in college which was nice minus the lack of decent waves. tomorrow i actually am packing up my car with my boards and everything i can fit in it and driving across the country to start my new life in Seal Beach CA. i paid my dues not its time to be a bike ride away from the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by krl0919 View Post
    i grew up my whole life about 1.5 hours (give or take) from the water. still managed to surf a solid 80% of any good hurricane/ winter swell that has come through in recent years. managed to live by the ocean a few summers in college which was nice minus the lack of decent waves. tomorrow i actually am packing up my car with my boards and everything i can fit in it and driving across the country to start my new life in Seal Beach CA. i paid my dues not its time to be a bike ride away from the beach.
    Best wishes and good luck in Seal Beach. I miss SOCAL sometimes.

I live a 15 min bike ride from the beach so idk bro but I know its on one of my tops on the list of heellllllll no's

krl good luck with the move you won't be sorry you did so. LB is a great place, good for you.

I have never lived more than 45 mins from the beach. Gotta have that ocean air, or i start to dry out. Couldnt imagine living more than that away. I find it hard enough to live 30 mins away now. I hate every day of where i live now, just a little bit tho, cause the only reason for the hate is i have to drive at least a half hour to good waves right now (summer), during the winter i think its like 15-20 mins away.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leetymike808 View Post
    I have never lived more than 45 mins from the beach. Gotta have that ocean air, or i start to dry out. Couldnt imagine living more than that away. I find it hard enough to live 30 mins away now. I hate every day of where i live now, just a little bit tho, cause the only reason for the hate is i have to drive at least a half hour to good waves right now (summer), during the winter i think its like 15-20 mins away.
    So lucky

Images
    Yankee and DP nailed the rewards of the search/intrinsic benefits of the travel/all of the above...I am a little envious of you guys that are right there, but I'd bve afraid I'd never get anything done at all if I could access waves multiple times a week all the time.

Fortunately I'm close to da beach(no waves though), so at least I could get brined when I need to.

The flip side to all this, just came up in a discussion i was having, I've heard dudes who lived right there say they paddled out less when they did...wait for the tide, wait for the wind to switch, then say f**k it I'll get in tomorrow. I don't see that happening to myself, but to use the parlance of our times, 'ijs'...

We are extremely fortunate to have our health and the ability to get in whenever we can. Let us give thanks and praise

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krl0919 View Post
    Good luck brother. You won't regret it. I think it is good for any surfer, at some point in their life to just do this. It is good for the soul. It changed my whole life. Even if you go back to living inland etc. I think it is a healthy thing to do, to post up, for an extended period of time, and just live the lifestyle that you always dreamed of. You may never go back to the way you were, but if you do, I guarantee you will be happier. Pack as many waves in as many hours and as many days, so when you look back on the decisions you have made, you won't have any regrets.

Stoked for you. Work hard, play hard. Don't mess around and come back 6 months from now. Put your all into it.