LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: board choice

board choice

right, well i am new to surfing, and it has turned out to be pretty addicting.

i've got a 6'2 rip curl shortboard with a bit of a swallow tail that i have been learning on. i can now pretty much stand up and drop in on almost every wave that i am in position for, the biggest i've tried being about chest high. right now i'm working on dropping into a turn to consistently stay clear of the whitewater so i can get some turns in on the wave.

i will only be out in the summer, since i am completely involved with snowboarding in the winter. since the waves are usually so weak during summer, i've noticed the shortboard isn't always the best choice.

my question is would a fish be a good investment? i don't have too much money to throw around so it would have to be a good reason. i've been researching them a bit, and they seem like they would be fun. i realize they are only good on smaller surf, but thats what i surf anyway, and when i get to the level to surf those bigger waves i have my shortboard anyway. are fish's able to be surfed as aggressively as a shortboards are, but on smaller waves?

i'm 6', 170 pounds if that matters

thanks

If you are going to get a fish, make sure you examine the width and thickness as well (both just as important as the length). I am 6'1" and 185lbs and have a couple of fishes and short-boards. If I were you and only able to buy one board and don't have alot to spend...... then, I would go to Chauncey's, K-Coast and check out the used selection of long boards and funshapes. I recently got a fun-shape since getting rid of my last one almost 10 years ago just to paddle out on any sized surf during the summer to get wet. I have a 7'8" Donald Takiyama Tuf-lite that floats like a 9' log and is responsive (depending on fin set-up) like a fish. Def go bigger then 7' and check out some egg shapes, long boards, or something like a little bit larger Walden Compact Disc. This will allow you to catch more waves and from further out. Go see Blair @ the 54th St Chauncey's n tell him what you said on here. He'll help you out.

Images

Wang. . .

Did you notice that he's in North Jersey? No Chauncey's or K-Coast up there, that's for sure.

5'10 ...Lost RNF

Images
    my fish is definitely my favorite board....5 '10 with some meat to it........i mean if you are looking not to invest too much money you could just go for a used fish at a local surf shop or even online...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jay cagney View Post
    right, well i am new to surfing, and it has turned out to be pretty addicting.

i've got a 6'2 rip curl shortboard with a bit of a swallow tail that i have been learning on. i can now pretty much stand up and drop in on almost every wave that i am in position for, the biggest i've tried being about chest high. right now i'm working on dropping into a turn to consistently stay clear of the whitewater so i can get some turns in on the wave.

i will only be out in the summer, since i am completely involved with snowboarding in the winter. since the waves are usually so weak during summer, i've noticed the shortboard isn't always the best choice.

my question is would a fish be a good investment? i don't have too much money to throw around so it would have to be a good reason. i've been researching them a bit, and they seem like they would be fun. i realize they are only good on smaller surf, but thats what i surf anyway, and when i get to the level to surf those bigger waves i have my shortboard anyway. are fish's able to be surfed as aggressively as a shortboards are, but on smaller waves?

i'm 6', 170 pounds if that matters

thanks
    go here http://catchsurf.com/

I'm looking into getting one of these.....I have heard nothing but GOOD about them....softtop.....hard bottom...future fin setup.....Y-QUAD..or ..Y-TWIN...check it out you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    Did you notice that he's in North Jersey? No Chauncey's or K-Coast up there, that's for sure.
    Def. didn't see that. I'm an idiot.

To the other guys: I don't think he would have much fun on a 5'10" fish if he is just barely starting to go down the line. My fave board of all time (still have it all de-lamned in my shed for replicating purposes) is a 5'11" Kechele Fish w/ a kick tail. But not sure that's the type of board for him right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ...LostInFlorida View Post
    5'10 ...Lost RNF

ding ding ding! great answer. try a Round Nose Fish (doesn't have to be ...Lost but that basic shape). 6'0" sounds about right if you are 170 and not an expert surfer. If you are only riding small waves under chest high It'l blow you away.
    Last edited by South Bethany; Jul 20, 2008 at 03:59 PM.

funny that yo mention the lost rnf, i saw one at brave new world in point pleasant and it really caught my eye, which is why i started researching fish's in the first place. i would loveeee to own on of those, and i may have to if i make some cut backs on other things i spend money on.

i'm not too worried about it being a little above my level, i think i'm driven enough to work up to it.

thanks for the help

the one that caught my eye was the quad fin too
    Last edited by jay cagney; Jul 20, 2008 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jay cagney View Post
    funny that yo mention the lost rnf, i saw one at brave new world in point pleasant and it really caught my eye, which is why i started researching fish's in the first place. i would loveeee to own on of those, and i may have to if i make some cut backs on other things i spend money on.

i'm not too worried about it being a little above my level, i think i'm driven enough to work up to it.

thanks for the help

the one that caught my eye was the quad fin too
    i'd stray away from the quad unless you can get them to put a center fin plug in