LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

shortboard fin setups? FCS or Futures

what is working well for you east coast surfers? Ive tested a few setups so far this is my opinion (175lb 5'11")

Futures Fins - on my quad/tri 6'2" x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8 diamond tail brian wynn board (best working and highest quality nj board ive had so far):

1) Quad: VII Quad1 side fins with the 4" tall rear fins -- my favorite nj mush setup, works great until head high (most of the time) then it just cant turn hard enough. Im thinking about testing out the VII QJC side fins next.

2) Thruster: VFJC1 -- swapped the trifin on the wynn board for cpl head high+ days. These felt too stable and didnt have enough drive in the nj waves, might work a lot better for bigger/much more powerful surf. On this board, the quad setup was so much faster and looser i always switched back to quad and for the more powerful days I ride my plus one thruster with G-AM fins

FCS Fins (on a 6'2' squash from plus one, a 6'3" merrick squash, a 6'4" bushman squash, 6'10" bushman pintail and a 5'10" larry mabile fish):

FCS G-AM -- these are the al merrick fins, they work real well in medium to strong surf and are very fast. a little too loose/fast for me in very powerful or hollow waves tho like north shore. keep these on my plus one for east coast head+

FCS G6 -- works really well for powerful surf and hollow waves. I have these in carbon fiber and plastic but cant feel much difference between them. I keep the carbons on my 6'4" bushman squash and the plastics on the 6'10" bushman pintail

FCS Occy -- super stable, but doesnt turn too well, you really need to crank it. I havent tested it in bigger surf but it might be better there

FCS G2 outers w/ GS center -- awesome on my 5' 10" larry mabile fish. also helped make an old merrick swallowtail board i hated feel a little better

FCS H2? i want to try them next, looks crazy

let me know what your experiences or preferences are for NJ and related east coast bleh waves
    Last edited by windswellsucks; Jul 19, 2008 at 05:28 PM.

i actually havent experimented with my fins cause im new to surfin but since you have i got a question.. right now a ride a tri-fin 6'2 board.. I can ride down the line easy and pump and do little turns but having trouble getting a good cutback so I was thinking of getting some smaller fins (quad fin style or something) and just putting two on.. you think this could make it faster and easier to do some cut backs?

take all your fins off and do 360's

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aczaplicki View Post
    haha old school KS

Quote Originally Posted by aczaplicki View Post
    haha might as well just take my bodyboard out and do stand up if i was gonna do that

Quote Originally Posted by sosodel View Post
    i actually havent experimented with my fins cause im new to surfin but since you have i got a question.. right now a ride a tri-fin 6'2 board.. I can ride down the line easy and pump and do little turns but having trouble getting a good cutback so I was thinking of getting some smaller fins (quad fin style or something) and just putting two on.. you think this could make it faster and easier to do some cut backs?
    i did that when i was younger. had an epoxy board and broke off the middle fin. it became sooo loose i loved it and never fixed it... rode it until i broke it. -- it cant hurt to experiment, try it out! worst thing you can do is put your other fins back in. fins are like skateboard trucks.. fun to swap

Im 5'10 165 and i ride a 5'10 18.75 2.25 quad fin Future fin setup. I had a tri fin FCS 6'2 rusty which was very fun, then went a got a 6'2 pihranna with a future fin setup, then got rusty Black STix fins which really made a difference in bigger surf. But since it's so mushy over here, my quad has been the best thing i ever bought. It has a pretty flat tail rocker, with a "diamonallow" tail. So the main thing i noticed was just how quick and loose it was compared to a tri fin. If i was suggest anything for the jersey mush it would be a quad fin.

Quote Originally Posted by sosodel View Post
    Doing cut backs have to surfing on your rails not the fins so much.

i have future fin setups on all my boards... if they're under 5'8" they have future F3's on them (honecomb hex fins) if larger than 5'8" they have the F4's...