LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by headrow View Post
    i smashed it on my back, it fell to the sand, laughed at me, and flew away. no joke
    lol. I think I have seen some of these bugs myself.

season?

so, is there maybe a particular time of year that might be less buggy to go camping at Assateague? Like maybe the bugs dont really show up until after april or something...or is they are there pretty much whenever it is comfortable for humans to be there...

Camping at AI

I've been camping there twice. The first time on the Bayside. It was horrible. The mosquitos coat you like killer bees. The second time I camped oceanside thinking it'd be better. I was wrong. It was worse if you ask me. A few hundred mosquitos get into your car every time you open it up. The ticks are bad too. Definitely not a good place to camp. You'll realize that as soon as you get out of your car there. Its a good place to visit for maybe an hour. But yeah, if you do camp the only haven is on the otherside of the dunes.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by brek View Post
    so, is there maybe a particular time of year that might be less buggy to go camping at Assateague? Like maybe the bugs dont really show up until after april or something...or is they are there pretty much whenever it is comfortable for humans to be there...
    I personally won't camp there after April 1st cuz that seems to be about the time when bugs really start (depending on how warm the early spring is). They can definately ruin your day! This time of year you're really at the mercy of the winds - what you need is just enough to keep the flies on the bayside but not too much to blow things out. It can be done though - just look at all those happy campers there every weekend during the summer!

ps - summer day trips for surf can be a great alternative to OC when the tide is right (generally meaning low and incoming)

Quote Originally Posted by JCus View Post
    If you are talking about the same site I am, the side road that leads to it is directly across the street from a this little market and fishing/hunting shop, with some gas pumps outside. It on the left a few miles past the Natural Art shop if you are heading south from the Lighthouse. As you enter the site right before the Ranger check in, you can turn off onto the sand towards the beach if you have an off road ready vehicle....
    Yup, dats da spot! I have never run into a crowd there except for some guys surf fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by wang View Post
    Yup, dats da spot! I have never run into a crowd there except for some guys surf fishing.
    Nice to know that you know about it too, I hope it stays a semi-secret spot though because I enjoyed being able to surf without feeling like I was too far out of my depth skill wise thus getting in anyones way, and liked being able to learn a little on actual waves as oppose to whitewater and slop in a crowded line up.

The day I went there was during a very crazy out of nowhere swell at the Lighthouse that blew up to at least head and a half and everyone who was anyone decent in the OBX area was out ripping. I am still a beginner and was a very green beginner when the Lighthouse blew up on my trip, so I went far away from Brett Barley and those guys killing it. I got worked on the long paddle out (but made it) and started sitting past the breaking waves only to figure out the relationship with mother nature and myself was not in tune enough to even think of dropping in on waves that big. I sort of/kind of caught a smaller one back in then left. Coming back I discovered the beach at my campsite was perfect for me on that day and the lack of a crowd helped with the fact that I suck(ed), and meant that I wasn't taking waves from those who deserved them or putting anyone in danger. I was able to get a better grasp on my timing without the issue of being a burden to others surfing, because of that I will always love that little tucked away corner of OBX.