LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Surfing in Delmarva

Hi all,

I have never surfed in the Delmarva area and want to give it a shot this weekend. Is there a decent spot that you guys can recommend? We want to avoid crowds and want to catch some decent waves, what is the best place to go to?

Thanks so much!!!

Jamila

48th Street in Ocean City is pretty good. Indian River Inlet in DE is okay but crowded and, in my opinion, requires at least a chest high swell in order for it to break far enough out to ride (unless you bodyboard of course). You guys need more sandbars in the DELMARVA area.

Plenty of sandbars in OC now but you will have to find a surfing beach that is actually breaking.

I guess most of OC from 48th south has shifting sandbars (north seems like mostly beachbreak) and can be fun, but also can get crowded on the weekends. Assateague allows room to move but can be fickle depending on tides, winds, bugs etc..

right at the moment, and for a little while now,......the sand bars have gone by-by. It really has been hit or miss for around a month or so now. you have got to be on it at the right time and right tides,..period,..just no way around it. It really is bad. all these last swells could have been so much better,.......but the breaks have just slid away. If we can keep getting these little south swells,...wind or ground.......it should help out. we just need a good flush out of all that sand on the beaches. hence the reason WE HAVE SEEN SO MUCH BEACHBREAK. Screw the summer anyway, atleast around here. last evening was plain stupid, that many poeple in the water, and for what? man I so dislike summer time surfers, they make me sick. <--my vent for the day.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xgen70 View Post
    Screw the summer anyway, atleast around here. last evening was plain stupid, that many poeple in the water, and for what? man I so dislike summer time surfers, they make me sick. <--my vent for the day.
    I have been in the water a total of 3 times since may, for that exact reason...

Images
    South Ocean City is where the best sandbars are.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    South Ocean City is where the best sandbars are.
    Yep but I guess most people are not there according to the posts.

Thank you all for your responses, I pretty much heard from everybody that the beaches are super crowded in the summer, but I guess I want to see it for myself and also get an idea where to come back later in the fall. We decided to head to Assateague this time, will let y'all know how it goes!

Cheers!

Surfing in Delmarva

Hey Jamila, for real, if you go to assateague, it only breaks well near/at low tide unless there's a good sized swell (and be prepared for a much longer paddle than in oc.