LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: wind farms

The best part of the video that is on the homepage is the couple of clips they show where there is no wind and none are spinning. Very productive.

I boo wind farms and ask that no one support them.

Because I work for a solar panel company.

CO2 emissions by energy type:

Some food for thought from WIRED magazine article a month or two back:
    Intro
    Nuclear Power Section

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prey4Surf View Post
    I boo wind farms and ask that no one support them.
    Because I work for a solar panel company.
    There's room for both. I was just watching a news report on how google powers their entire business through green energy. Were talking about one of the most technologically advanced businesses in the world. All of their buildings have solar panels on the top, which i believe is the chief resource of their energy.

And they were able to show that using renewable energy was indeed cost effective, as they spent less money then they would have otherwise.

Images
    wondering when we are going to make proper use of the ocean currents - one of the greatest sources of energy available. i'm guessing, the biggest hurdle here is expense

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    wondering when we are going to make proper use of the ocean currents - one of the greatest sources of energy available. i'm guessing, the biggest hurdle here is expense

How would you harness such an energy?

I think its in the same category as geothermal energy. There are big engineering hurdles we need to over come.

Quote Originally Posted by goin_retro View Post
    CO2 emissions by energy type:

Some food for thought from WIRED magazine article a month or two back:
    Intro
    Nuclear Power Section

That graph, what are the inner blue bars representing? During the manufacturing process solar panels, there is a carbon foot print. But in application they are zero emission, even the generators that convert the energy from the solar panels to usable energy don't emit anything.

The only danger they pose is there is a certain type of solar panel that a company name Solar One makes that uses an extremely effective but toxic chemical for the photovoltaic process. But they offer free to all customers clean up in the event of a breakage.

Images
    How would you harness such an energy?

I think its in the same category as geothermal energy. There are big engineering hurdles we need to over come.
    pretty straight forward. its analogous to damns and wind farms.
    The ocean currents create a force against some sort of resistance - this is captured and distributed into energy.

But, i agree the cost of engineering is the hold back here, but I can't imagine a better source of energy.
    Last edited by Swellinfo; Jul 31, 2008 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    pretty straight forward. its analogous to damns and wind farms.
    The ocean currents create a force that is captured and distributed into energy.

But, i agree the cost of engineering is the hold back here, but I can't imagine a better source of energy.
    I don't mean like that. To harness hydroenergy you build a dam and control the flow of water. This is small scale, but the formation of man made lakes because of the dam shows that we are impacting the environment and ecosystems with the dam.

You can't really dam an ocean current.

I had to go back and proof-read everything because I spelled dam as damn, every time.

Images
    I don't mean like that. To harness hydroenergy you build a dam and control the flow of water. This is small scale, but the formation of man made lakes because of the dam shows that we are impacting the environment and ecosystems with the dam.

You can't really dam an ocean current.
    why would you need to control the ocean. the ocean currents are never static...
    think of a wind mill underwater.