LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: wind farms

  1. #21
    the problem with harnessing energy from most ocean currents is due to the tidal shifts. A traditional turbine generator expects a somewhat constant flow, and that flow needs to be in 1 direction (IE: Hoover Dam). Ocean currents move fast, then slow down, then change direction, and repeat... not ideal for a turbine generator

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Monmouth County
    Posts
    173
    Images
    8
    A big hurdle to tidal power is the amount of money that must be spent maintaining the machines. Salt water is corrosive and breaks down the parts very quickly. The expensive parts need to be replaced relatively often.

    Also, there are environmental concerns with tidal energy because the blades/turbines could kill fish/whales/etc. If the blades/turbines kill an animal, it creates blood and chum, essentially, bringing more animals towards the blades. Those animals die and create more blood/chum, and pretty soon you have a sea creature massacre happening at those underwater turbines.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Darealm View Post
    Also, there are environmental concerns with tidal energy because the blades/turbines could kill fish/whales/etc. If the blades/turbines kill an animal, it creates blood and chum, essentially, bringing more animals towards the blades. Those animals die and create more blood/chum, and pretty soon you have a sea creature massacre happening at those underwater turbines.
    didn't think of a sea creature massacre - good point.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by windswellsucks View Post
    the problem with harnessing energy from most ocean currents is due to the tidal shifts. A traditional turbine generator expects a somewhat constant flow, and that flow needs to be in 1 direction (IE: Hoover Dam). Ocean currents move fast, then slow down, then change direction, and repeat... not ideal for a turbine generator
    this shouldn't be an issue. winds have the same variability... just allow the turbine to harness from all directions.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    mantoloking
    Posts
    142
    Images
    20
    uh is any one concerned we may have a big swell filter on the outside of our lineups?????

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by ritecoastsurfer3 View Post
    uh is any one concerned we may have a big swell filter on the outside of our lineups?????
    read the entire thread...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Brick/Belmar
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    read the entire thread...
    I think he might be referring to our upside down water mills we are currently discussing. I was actually thinking the same thing, whats a farm, or say a bank of these going to do to a current? Slow it, divert it, alter it just enough that it might cause some unknown weather issue. Granted if we did this in the Atlantic, America wouldn't notice any issues, but Europe would.

    Also the under water massacre made me laugh for a good 5 minutes, it didn't even occur to me that other things might want to use the water, lol.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Prey4Surf View Post
    I think he might be referring to our upside down water mills we are currently discussing. I was actually thinking the same thing, whats a farm, or say a bank of these going to do to a current? Slow it, divert it, alter it just enough that it might cause some unknown weather issue. Granted if we did this in the Atlantic, America wouldn't notice any issues, but Europe would.

    Also the under water massacre made me laugh for a good 5 minutes, it didn't even occur to me that other things might want to use the water, lol.
    the underwater massacre is a really good point.

    as far as ocean currents go - this is way to small scale for it to disturb large scale ocean currents.

    that would be like saying putting up a wind farm will change our weather patterns. Butterfly effect... sure.. everything has an influence, but we are talking minor. Every time we turn fields into parking lots, we influence climate, but that wont stop development.

    i thought rightcoastsurfer3 was talking about blocking swells from reaching the beaches.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    mantoloking
    Posts
    142
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    read the entire thread...
    seems like the sea massacre is getting a lot more attention. . .i mean sticking huge structures in the way of swell should be a concern for surfers right?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by ritecoastsurfer3 View Post
    seems like the sea massacre is getting a lot more attention. . .i mean sticking huge structures in the way of swell should be a concern for surfers right?
    ya, we were dicussing this earlier on in the thread.

    now that i think about it a little more, i'm thinking the mills will have to be moored to the bottom, so they dont float away. before, when we were discussing this, I was proposing maybe they are more or less floating on the surface, which wouldnt be a problem for swell blockage.

    So, if they are moored, then I guess there will be some reflection of swells propagating towards the beach. However, we are only talking about a small window of beach that would be effected - so hopefully that window is not covering a good break... I dont think it will be too substantial of an influence.