LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

Thanksgiving on Oahu

I'm visiting a friend in HI over thanksgiving break. What are the waves usually like? Is a standard run of the mill short board good enough? This is my second trip there but last time i went, it was June and flat.

Images
    This isn't the peak of the North Shore season, but the N Pac can definitely get going by the end of November.

Its not the most consistent time of year for Oahu, but its going to be much less crowded, especially during the holiday.

I have spent Thanksgiving on the North Shore and it was very big. The Triple Crown starts the first week of November with the Reef event at Haleiwa so the season will be in full swing. Expect to see a lot of pros in town and defitnely bring a bigger board.

Quote Originally Posted by El Porto View Post
    I have spent Thanksgiving on the North Shore and it was very big. The Triple Crown starts the first week of November with the Reef event at Haleiwa so the season will be in full swing. Expect to see a lot of pros in town and defitnely bring a bigger board.
    Amen to bringing a bigger board. Snapped my brand new 6' firewire, i was steaming pissed!

I was gonna bring a 6'8 and a 6'6. Both boards are squash tails. I've been out in 6-8 footers (east coast measurement) with these and they were fine. I don't plan to ride anything much bigger than that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Decapod View Post
    Amen to bringing a bigger board. Snapped my brand new 6' firewire, i was steaming pissed!
    How'd you do that? Closeout? I mean they aren't indestructible but, very hard to destroy. I have a 5' 6" firewire that i beat the 5hit out of literally. Not even 1 pressure ding on it. On another note I snapped the nose off my 6' 2" sharp eye last week.

Edit: ^^^^ Ahh.... nm i didn't notice you were talking about Hawaii.
    Last edited by Aguaholic; Aug 4, 2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: too steeched

Quote Originally Posted by El Porto View Post
    ^^^ ditto, bring a bigger board! north shore power makes bigger boards feel smaller... not like east coast mush

That's the beginning of Hawaii's winter

Meaning expect the waves to be big....

http://www.hawaii-vacation-paradise....f-seasons.html

The winter surf season...
    The winter Hawaii surf season, which runs from approximately November through March, is where you can expect the largest swells of all year... in particular, large swells from the North, West and North-West are common on the North Shore. Swells will normally be around 6-12 feet, with bigger swells pushing 30 feet at times! This is when the pro-surfers come out to play and the North and West sides of the Hawaii Islands really liven up, especially The North Shore, Oahu.

Nothing is guarenteed, but, that being an island will pick up swells on any side. When I was there I never saw better 1" overhead surf in my life.....I think it's also easier to catch then here on east coast mush...It sets up better and is much cleaner off the reefs...Be warned the sun is deceiving even if you naturally tan easy...wear alot of sunscreen!!!! I'm not joking....Sun near the equator is serious business.

Oh yeah...That's 6-12 feet hawaiian size....that means 12-14 east coast.....find a side were the swell is smaller...you'll have more fun and won't snap your neck....