LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spear fishing?

Hybrid View

house is outside rehoboth, DE (millsboro). unfortunately i can only make it there in august
    Images

spear fishing?

alright well since its been flat and im in desparate need of doing something fun at the beach (even though wednesday it looks like we'll be getting a waist high swell...woo!)...i was thinkin about taking up spear fishing.......the thing is, i dont know anything about it. i figured someone on here might know a thing or two so i figured i'd ask a few questions...

where would i go about getting the right equipment?
    do i need a license to do it?
    any pointers?

i figure ill just give it a try. it sounds like fun...thanks for any responses

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IsurfwhenIcan View Post
    alright well since its been flat and im in desparate need of doing something fun at the beach (even though wednesday it looks like we'll be getting a waist high swell...woo!)...i was thinkin about taking up spear fishing.......the thing is, i dont know anything about it. i figured someone on here might know a thing or two so i figured i'd ask a few questions...

where would i go about getting the right equipment?
    do i need a license to do it?
    any pointers?

i figure ill just give it a try. it sounds like fun...thanks for any responses
    First off....Wednesday.....don't get your hopes up yet. We will see what pans out.

Spear fishing....

Go to a dive store......they have spear guns and hawaiian slings. I prefer a sling...more of a challenge. Anyone can point a gun and shoot stuff. The sling takes some effort.

No...... you do not need a license.

Get yourself a spear gun or sling + tips.....I got my 6' sling for $40 and the tip for $35...(for a good tip). Also you will need a face mask and snorkel - get a kit...they are like $40-$45.
    Diver fins....you will need. (not sure the price on those)...Diver flag - you don't have to get this...but, if you get caught spear fishing without a flag...you will get a ticket. So, it could be a good idea. Also, 75 ft of line for the flag. And a fish net. I think that about covers it.

You can get all this stuff together for around $125-$150.

Have fun.....Oh and lookout for the guys in the gray suits.
    Last edited by Aguaholic; Aug 5, 2008 at 12:17 AM.

Make sure you know the fishing regulations on size and what you can and cannot shoot.

house is outside rehoboth, DE (millsboro). unfortunately i can only make it there in august
    Images
    thanks a lot for the info....um one more thing if anyone could help me out here...

what would be a good place to do some spearfishing...or what kind of water (shallow, deep, in between)...like i said i know nothing about it so i need some help

Best place is around underwater objects...i.e wrecks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Joyner View Post
    Make sure you know the fishing regulations on size and what you can and cannot shoot.
    yeah...he has a good point forgot about that. I have a chart that tell you the size.

48" or bigger for sharks

i just got into spearfishing this year also. I've been doing it since May and i've caught some nice fish. The only thing I need help with is figuring out when the water will be clear or not. I figured first u have to go when its flat, but thats not always the case. One time I went and it was crystal clear for about 2 hours then the wind switched and a really strong current became apparent..(or may be it was the tide going out?) and the visibility went to ****. I've gone so many times in murky conditions that I'm already used to it, but of course its so much better when u can see

I like to do it between the green flags on the beach. Just look for them and you'll be ok. Swim out there and shoot away, murky or not, you can't miss! Screw size limits! I've already bagged 10 Pennsylvanians, 6 New Yorkers, 4 Delawareans, and an Ohioan!!! Im killing it!!!!!! I mean them.

Images
    Just purchased gear and have never been spearfishing. Can anyone recommend any spots near oc NJ to go?(within hour or 2 drive)

Hope you like brown. You are going to see a lot of it.