LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Santa Cruz Pumpkin Seed

Just bought a pumpkin. Board is soooooooo sick! Great for mushy surf and an overall great board. Wish i would have had this board during the fall/winter months. Anyone else have this board?

Here are the specs:

LENGTH: 62
    NOSE: 14.50
    WIDTH: 19.75
    TAIL: 14.50
    THICKNESS: 2.37

pumpkin

That board is sick. Bet its got great versitility, works with a lot of conditions, can't go wrong? The thickness and fat nose is a nice combo. Did you order straight from Santa Cruz, how much did you drop?

Quote Originally Posted by nickzilla720 View Post
    That board is sick. Bet its got great versitility, works with a lot of conditions, can't go wrong? The thickness and fat nose is a nice combo. Did you order straight from Santa Cruz, how much did you drop?
    Dude ive only had it for like 3 days and there has been no surf on LBI, sucks! Wanna see what she can do! I bought it from a local surf shop for $600 welllll worth it man. I was getting jaded on my piranha and this board is very similar but better! IMO. Its great for mush to overhead + grab one man if your funds allow you to do so.
    Last edited by Decapod; Aug 5, 2008 at 05:04 PM.

How do you know how it performs if its been flat? Especially overhead, come on dummy.

Quote Originally Posted by chong View Post
    How do you know how it performs if its been flat? Especially overhead, come on dummy.
    because i demo'ed the board earlier this year DUDE. i finally saved enough money this year to buy it. and like i said its super similar to my rusty piranha shape, width, concave and thickness wise. the pumpkin is a rounded pin and my piranha is a swallow so we shall see.

What are the dims?

I have heard they are nice boards and that Santa Cruz makes pretty sweet tufflite models, I would consider getting one vs. a RNF or something along those lines just because it seems like it could take more of a beating and being a mid level beginner I can still be rough on a board, especially in mushy, shore break conditions. I am excited to hear more about the board once the East Coast gets some swell again.

Quote Originally Posted by Decapod View Post
    because i demo'ed the board earlier this year DUDE. i finally saved enough money this year to buy it. and like i said its super similar to my rusty piranha shape, width, concave and thickness wise. the pumpkin is a rounded pin and my piranha is a swallow so we shall see.
    So you mean you tried one out, you didn't "demo" one, because if you actually KNEW how to surf well enought to get paid to demo product you'd know a rounded pin will perform nothing like a swallow tail.

KOOK.

Hi Guys,

i've read in this forum that a lot of you had some practical experience with the Pumpkin Seed. So maybe one of you could help me by my decision wether to buy this board or not.
    I would say i am an intermediate surfer who can't surf every day because therefore I have to drive 2- 2,5 hours. But if there is some swell at the weekends i am there ( if my Girffriend allows it ). What i am searching for is a board that fits most conditions (from hip- to overhead high, hollow reef or beachbreak). I think therefore this Board is a good solution.
    I am 185 cm length weight 176 pounds foodsize 10 - 10,5. I thought about the 6'2 or 6'4 what do you think?

Pumkin Sizing?

I just bought a new 6' 0" Santa Cruz Pumpkin Seed. I am 6 foot and 180-185 lbs. It seems like I am at the upper limit of the boards capacity (especially with wetsuit gear). The dude at the surf shop is about my size and he rides a 5' 10" Pumpkin Seed. I generally like smaller boards, but also am looking for something to glide through the flat spots and paddle well. Don't know if I got the right size.

Anyone have any insight into this issue? I'd like to hear from folks that have some experience with this board. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Surf ability/ experience plays in to it as well. If you shop around for boards on the internet a lot of sites will give you suggested dimensions based on height and weight or skill but it is a combination of both. My rocket fish ( not a pumpkin seed but I suspect similar deal wider and thicker than the normal shortboard) is rated on the website for 165-175 lbs person...I am 193 lbs. These are general guidelines set up based on an "average" (not that good) surfer. Slates I am not but I fit in the above average category and thus my ability/ experience can make up for lost board volume (you can see this to an extreme in alot of pros boards and the dimensions they ride). I'm sure any one of the shappers that frequent these forums would tell you the same thing...but if you already paid for it isn't it too late to worry about what others think about the dimensions? You've got some time before putting on the rubber to shred it out and form your own opinion and probably surprise yourself with your comfort level on some smaller dimensions than you are used to (or at least thats what it sounds like to me)
    ps Let me know how you like the board...I am looking at getting one myself