LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Question for Jerseyites

So with the mandatory beach tags, do they only apply during guarded hours, or all times of the day?
    Is there a discount for locals?
    Do surfers have to buy and wear them as well?
    What's the rate, and who checks for them?
    Is it a ticketable offense to not have one, or do you get arrested?
    What do they use the money for, because I've not seen any beach cleaning machines up there?
    "Gee Officer, I didn't bring my ID because I'm going in the water!" Are there any excuses that actually work?

Images
    the badges are only in affect from 9am-4pm. you can get on the beach free anytime not on those hours. We have badge checkers on each walk in on the beach. They ask you to see your badge and you proceed. and everyone has to buy them..locals..surfers...bennys..its all about the money baby.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    So with the mandatory beach tags, do they only apply during guarded hours, or all times of the day?
    Is there a discount for locals?
    Do surfers have to buy and wear them as well?
    What's the rate, and who checks for them?
    Is it a ticketable offense to not have one, or do you get arrested?
    What do they use the money for, because I've not seen any beach cleaning machines up there?
    "Gee Officer, I didn't bring my ID because I'm going in the water!" Are there any excuses that actually work?
    Considering I work Beach Patrol at Manasquan, that is my job to make sure you have them.

Yes, they are only needed for guarded hours. No discount for locals. Surfers have to have them. Daily tickets are $6 weekdays and $7 weekends/holidays at Manasquan. Yes it is a ticket-able offense, but we come up to you first and unless you give us a hard time, you won't get one. If you get pissy and start cussing we'll call a cop for you Then you'll have to pay, and then probably get kicked off the beach. I recommend just paying to begin with.

Lastly, unlike other states, New Jersey Government does not give the towns a budget for the beach. That means that the lifeguards and beach crew (people who pick up trash) would not get paid, so each town has to make its own budget (selling beach badges and requiring them to get onto the beaches). Different towns run different rates, and some towns do not require them (Towns that can afford the budget without tourist profit)

Edit: GoinRetro: Personally me and the badgecheckers make sure they have badges more than just normal looking tourists.
    Last edited by tbing; Aug 6, 2008 at 04:16 PM.

Ok here's everything i know.. They only apply during guarded hours and if you just go to the beach to surf then you don't need to buy them. They cost $25 before the season starts so if you're a local there's the discount. Beach badge checkers check them who wear white shirts and yellow shorts, easy to spot because they are usually teens who are carrying a pouch of badges. If you somehow don't see them coming or don't have one they'll just tell you the rate per day, per week, and the increased rate per season which you can buy on the spot. Who knows what the money goes for, but there are ways to get out of not buying them. Just going in the water excludes you from being checked because they don't chase you. You can pretend to be sleeping if you see them at the last second. Or you can point to a bag you came with and say they're in the bag. Some checkers are airheads and just say ok, but if they ask where, just check the bag and tell the person I must have left it at home, sorry. They'll usually just say ok can you go and get them because another checker is coming soon. That's your que to get your board and go surf.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbing View Post
    Considering I work Beach Patrol at Manasquan, that is my job to make sure you have them.

Yes, they are only needed for guarded hours. No discount for locals. Surfers have to have them. Daily tickets are $6 weekdays and $7 weekends/holidays at Manasquan. Yes it is a ticket-able offense, but we come up to you first and unless you give us a hard time, you won't get one. If you get pissy and start cussing we'll call a cop for you Then you'll have to pay, and then probably get kicked off the beach. I recommend just paying to begin with.

Lastly, unlike other states, New Jersey Government does not give the towns a budget for the beach. That means that the lifeguards and beach crew (people who pick up trash) would not get paid, so each town has to make its own budget (selling beach badges and requiring them to get onto the beaches). Different towns run different rates, and some towns do not require them (Towns that can afford the budget without tourist profit)

Edit: GoinRetro: Personally me and the badgecheckers make sure they have badges more than just normal looking tourists.

I can't believe locals and tourist alike need to pay to go to a "public" beach. The city, county, or any governmental official should be embarrassed about charging people to go to the beach. I am sure there is more than enough tax revenue or general consumerism to pay the salaries of the "public" employees. If not, then that particular municipality should have an outside auditor take a look at the books and see who is lining their pockets.

This just my opinion and this is what I would say if you came up to me at my local beach, of which I paid taxes to live in that area, and demanded to see a beach badge. The cops would definately have to come and I would have to file a civil suit against the city to get the restriction lifted.

RIDICULOUS!!!!

________
    Honda RC161
    Last edited by SkySurfnSnow; Jan 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkySurfnSnow View Post
    I can't believe locals and tourist alike need to pay to go to a "public" beach. The city, county, or any governmental official should be embarrassed about charging people to go to the beach. I am sure there is more than enough tax revenue or general consumerism to pay the salaries of the "public" employees. If not, then that particular municipality should have an outside auditor take a look at the books and see who is lining their pockets.

This just my opinion and this is what I would say if you came up to me at my local beach, of which I paid taxes to live in that area, and demanded to see a beach badge. The cops would definately have to come and I would have to file a civil suit against the city to get the restriction lifted.

RIDICULOUS!!!!
    Yay! Seriously, Manasquan is about a square mile. The ONLY thing in that town is the beach and houses. The only type of profit comes from tourism in the summer. How the hell would they be able to pay salaries for 50 people for the entire summer. Oh wait, yeah, they could just not have lifeguards, and not clean garbage off the beach, then it would probably look like NYC cause thats the trash that comes there. The 50 people do not include the badge checkers and other people who work there because they have to make sure they make money. 50 is just the lifeguards and crew.

If you wanna complain, take it to NJ Government and ***** all you want at them.

Our lovely City does NOT require surfers with boards to pay for a tag. If you're carrying a board (or a kayak or a kon tiki boat), you get on the beach for free dollars.

'Swim at you own risk" signs are much cheaper than guards.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    'Swim at you own risk" signs are much cheaper than guards.

hell yeah, where I surf the badge guys don't give a **** if your going on the beach simply to get to the water. Providing access to the water is my right and if some kook working beach patrol told me to pay, I'd tell him to go **** himself. Another reason why summer sucks in NJ, hope this winter is as good as last

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smack da lip whaaapaaa View Post
    hell yeah, where I surf the badge guys don't give a **** if your going on the beach simply to get to the water. Providing access to the water is my right and if some kook working beach patrol told me to pay, I'd tell him to go **** himself. Another reason why summer sucks in NJ, hope this winter is as good as last
    Then move somewhere else cause you're pretty annoying yourself. The locals are bigger ****s than the tourists are.