LOGIN | REGISTER

Images

Wetsuit Question

At what water temperature is it necessary to wear a wetsuit so you don't get hypothermia. The air temperatures/wind matters too, right?

I have no idea what temp it is necessary. There is usaually just a weekend where you go, "yep, its too cold to bare back it."

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    last year i got in my wetsuit in late november or middle of november.

Thumbs up

Depends on if you got a 3/2, 4/3,5/4, 3mm or higher,. If ya got a descent 3/2, I would say anything below 58 gets a little chilly. 4/3 really depends on what brand ya got. I have worn my latest 4/3 in 50 or a little below, beyond that good luck, thats when things get a bit hairy. I recommend you check out this company, they make some really good suits, go to the catalog, its worth it: http://www.westsurfing.com/

just got a lotus out of there, easily blows out any suit I have had.
    Last edited by bfloyd; Aug 15, 2008 at 02:49 PM.

November...

I went out one day last year, in early November. The water was still warm, 68 degrees, but there was an offshore wind that was a bit chilly. I wasn't wearing a wetsuit and that wind kept blowing on the back of my neck, and after a while it felt like an ice cream headache, so after that I wore a wetsuit.

if your looking for a wetsuit go to wetsuitwarehouse.com they have all the best wetsuit manufactures and i use them for my wetsuit purchases also they give you a discount on some of them. but my advise is dont buy the gloves and booties from them buy them from a local surf shop.

Quote Originally Posted by wbsurfer View Post
    if your looking for a wetsuit go to wetsuitwarehouse.com they have all the best wetsuit manufactures and i use them for my wetsuit purchases also they give you a discount on some of them. but my advise is dont buy the gloves and booties from them buy them from a local surf shop.
    OK, that's good to know. I've got that site bookmarked and I'm going to need a 4/3 this fall.

yeah i know i read about it in a surf magazine i got so i went to it and ever since then im buying my wetsuits from them. but i would go to local shops and try them on there and go on the wetsuitwarehouses website and order it so at least you know the size you need.

i'm from pensacola, and yes i'm a ***** when it comes to cold water... as soon as it get's around 65 degrees, on goes the xcel

Quote Originally Posted by wbsurfer View Post
    yeah i know i read about it in a surf magazine i got so i went to it and ever since then im buying my wetsuits from them. but i would go to local shops and try them on there and go on the wetsuitwarehouses website and order it so at least you know the size you need.
    Yeah, I bought a 3/2 at Bert's Surf Shop last fall. I figure if I order the same brand & size from wetsuit warehouse, it ought to fit. I don't think the local shops up here (TI) even carry women's wetsuits in 4/3.