LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paddling

Paddling

ok guys, i have a dilemma. my friend has decided to take up surfing, he has NEVER tried it before and he is 29 years old. i took him out when it was flat so he could get the feel of paddling, standing up in the whitewash etc... but he CANNOT seem to stay on the board, he cant even sit on it w/o it shooting out from underneath him. i tried giving him tips like, dont lay so far back on the board when paddling, cup your hands, try scooching up on the board and dont let the nose be to far in the air but he cant seem to get it. does anyone have any tips for him? he really wants to get into the sport but i dont seem to have that much patience for teaching.

Talking

this guy is full of ****

hes using the "i have a friend who" has problems with **** so he can get advice on how to paddle because hes to afraid to ask for himself

Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochill93 View Post
    this guy is full of ****

hes using the "i have a friend who" has problems with **** so he can get advice on how to paddle because hes to afraid to ask for himself
    dude, i've been surfing for 14 years, i think i can paddle you idiot. damn, can't even ask a question on this forum anymore w/o getting s*** for it. why don't you come down to LBI so we can give you a little island welcome you kook. don't like the thread and or can't help with the ques.... DON'T READ IT!

Images
    just keep taking him out if he is willing to give it another try. balance is everything. maybe go into a big swimming pool if that is possible just to work on balance on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    just keep taking him out if he is willing to give it another try. balance is everything. maybe go into a big swimming pool if that is possible just to work on balance on the board.
    ok, will do. thank you for the feedback. the reason im asking for him is, he doesn't have a computer and i didn't really know how to go about teaching him because i dont recall myself having problems paddling when i first started. the swimming pool is a rad idea. i should have thought of that maybe i gave him the wrong board to start with??? he was using my 6'2 rusty piranha.

Images
    Yeah, a little longer more stable board would help. If you have one, if not... anything will do but its nice and easy to learn on a big board. Those foam boards make it easy enough to catch a ripple...

Images
    ya a longer board to start out (if possible) will definitely help with the balance.

I agree on the longer board as well as thicker/wider if you have access to it...just tell him to keep plugging away working on the balance issues, and maybe just more exposure to the ocean and swimming will help.

Last edited by Chris Joyner; Aug 17, 2008 at 03:01 AM.

sarcasm