LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Water Logged board

I think my board is starting to become waterlogged.. I may be paranoid but i'm pretty sure it feels heavier.. Also I feel like the front of the board is sinking right at take off for a few seconds until i pick up speed.. I was wondering is there anyway to reverse waterlog or take it to a surf shop and they might be able to do something?

suck it out. Just like a snake bite.

Water log

Depending on how bad...cut a few holes in the glass without getting into the foam and let it bake in the sun to dry out. Water will find its way out- then just glass it back up. Good as new. Glass work is easy, dont be scared. If it looks like a ding and the area is dis-colored then there is probably water inside.

thanks man.. yea i dont see any discoloration just guessing off the weight and feel of surfing.. but any idea where i should cut like on the rails or where and how deep would you say?.. also to patch it back up is sun cure ok or would i need someting more?

Quote Originally Posted by sosodel View Post
    thanks man.. yea i dont see any discoloration just guessing off the weight and feel of surfing.. but any idea where i should cut like on the rails or where and how deep would you say?.. also to patch it back up is sun cure ok or would i need someting more?
    You don't mention any visible cracks or holes where you think the water is gettig in. If you don't see the foam discolored, or see the water weeping out of the board cracks after a session, you probably don't have enough water seeping to justify hacking up the board. If you can't even figure out where to cut it, then you don't even know where the leaks are!!

i do have little cracks and i noticed they bubble a bit when left out in the sun.. should i cut there?

Your method to reverse waterlogging will be different depending on the foam type. XTR, EPS, and traditional polyurethane blanks all have different properties. This gets even more complicated if you have a compsand such as surftech, sunova, firewire, or (God forbid) Bic or NSP.

For example- XTR boards are closed cell and do not get waterlogged. EPS gets waterlogged and unwaterlogged fairly easily, but if you patch it with polyester resin it will melt the foam. Compsands (composite sandwiches) have layers of EPS, fiberglass, closed cell foam, or other materials depending on the manufacture. They can be tricky to fix correctly if your a novice.

First figure out what kind of board it is. Most likely it is a traditional PU/PE or possibly an EPS/epoxy board. These are the most common.

Next research how others have fixed similar problems. Swaylocks.com is a good resource for this but, like I said, research the problem before you post a 'help me' thread.

Your best bet- find your local shaper and have him take a look. Your will support your local surf scene, have the problem fixed correctly, and be out $30 at worst.

Good luck.

yea thanks man.. its made of epoxy (santa cruz pumpkin seed).. i was just thinking of taking it to k-coast and having them do it right.. id rather pay a little extra for it done right then me try to do it and mess up.. and ive been trying to research this stuff online for a few days but all i find is like 'dings can cause waterlogging and thats bad' and how waterlog is some surf artist and reverse waterlogging is how you make yachts or some poop like that

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSpy View Post

Your best bet- find your local shaper and have him take a look. Your will support your local surf scene, have the problem fixed correctly, and be out $30 at worst.

Good advice- yeah, Spike at K-Coast is good. And this link is pretty informative...

www.boardlady.com

Water log

Sounds like you need some epoxy resin- the box says "epoxy resin." Avoid the suncure unless you want a quick fix. Who wants to go to the shop everytime you get a ding. Its part of surfing. Like anything the more repairs you make the better you will get.