LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45
  1. #11
    kumbaya attitude?? come on guy... i'm sick of hearing people who've been surfing on the east coast for "12-15 years" as you say, complaining about how every summer has gotten worse and worse. weather is weather, and trying to blame the waves on global warming is absurd. the southern hemisphere indeed gets better waves, namely b/c a much larger % of it is ocean, thus more room for fetch and increased swells. case and point would be pacific coast of central america, say, for the last 4 months. i can assure you i have no "kumbaya" attitude towards surfing during the summer, but there are plenty of things you can do to "improve you performance" as you say...aside from the obvious of riding smaller boards, go skating...skate some bowls or hills on a tiny piece of wood and i guarantee that will increase your turning ability in the water. plus it's fun as hell....and if you can;t find things to do to stay in shape other than surf (so as not to be "blindsided") then i feel sorry for you..
    as far as equipment, i ride a 6'1" thruster and a 5'9" twin fin, and i've been surfing everyday the last week just about. yesterday in CB we had stomach high waves all day, with some chest high sets. i probably got about ten pretty fun rides, and would've gotten more if the longboarders weren't taking off on everything... (btw, swellinfo was dead on with its forecast - props there) if you're in SC, then yeah, you get gutless surf 95 days out of 100....probably more. anyway, my point is that complaining about it is fruitless, particularly if you've been surfing the east coast for 15 years...you should know what's up. i've only been surfing for 3 years, and i would say this summer has been better than last...the flat spells have probably been longer and worse, but i think the waves have been better when they've been there. obviously i'm being a little semantic here, but, if people want to complain about not getting rides, and keep referencing CA and rippers that move out there....then why don't you move out there??? just be glad for what you do have....

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    i dont think summers are getting worse. I know for me i dont surf as much in the summer as i used to and that is simply because i've been surfing for a while now and i get bored a lot from the small summer time waves.

    I think a lot of times when people say it used to be so much better, they may be saying this because when you are less experienced the waves are more challenging and it seems to be better back then.

    For the avid east coast surfers, I recommend finding other hobbies, because there is always going to be a lot of downtime on the east coast - thats what we have to deal with. I dont mind this anymore, because as much as I like to surf, it means my life doesn't have to revolve around surfing. Then, when those good days do come, you are super amped. Just my 2 cents.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mmt View Post
    kumbaya attitude?? come on guy... i'm sick of hearing people who've been surfing on the east coast for "12-15 years" as you say, complaining about how every summer has gotten worse and worse. weather is weather, and trying to blame the waves on global warming is absurd. the southern hemisphere indeed gets better waves, namely b/c a much larger % of it is ocean, thus more room for fetch and increased swells. case and point would be pacific coast of central america, say, for the last 4 months. i can assure you i have no "kumbaya" attitude towards surfing during the summer, but there are plenty of things you can do to "improve you performance" as you say...aside from the obvious of riding smaller boards, go skating...skate some bowls or hills on a tiny piece of wood and i guarantee that will increase your turning ability in the water. plus it's fun as hell....and if you can;t find things to do to stay in shape other than surf (so as not to be "blindsided") then i feel sorry for you..
    as far as equipment, i ride a 6'1" thruster and a 5'9" twin fin, and i've been surfing everyday the last week just about. yesterday in CB we had stomach high waves all day, with some chest high sets. i probably got about ten pretty fun rides, and would've gotten more if the longboarders weren't taking off on everything... (btw, swellinfo was dead on with its forecast - props there) if you're in SC, then yeah, you get gutless surf 95 days out of 100....probably more. anyway, my point is that complaining about it is fruitless, particularly if you've been surfing the east coast for 15 years...you should know what's up. i've only been surfing for 3 years, and i would say this summer has been better than last...the flat spells have probably been longer and worse, but i think the waves have been better when they've been there. obviously i'm being a little semantic here, but, if people want to complain about not getting rides, and keep referencing CA and rippers that move out there....then why don't you move out there??? just be glad for what you do have....
    Ok point taken, 1st of all a piece of wood on land, is in no resemblance to being in the water. Sure using a gravity board or sector can help you square up on some turns, gain some speed and help your timing, maybe build some calf or qauds in process, but to compare asphault with fluvial water dynamics is just flat out dumb, except for maybe the ole school Fletcher Brothers, Jon Jon Florence, or legendary Jay Adams, who some how manage to feed off the two very well. And yes the past 3 summers have blown, apparently you have been shortlived in the water around this area. I assure you if you really want me to break out some archives I will be happy to do so, and give you a greater understanding of the slowing pattern that has taken place with swell among the south east coast in the summer months. No **** it is flat in Most of May, June and July, but 2descent swells in 3 months is nothing short of ****ty. Yeah, it does break better in CB, I travel up there a bit, but it surely is no World Class break vs. this area, and to speak out as if the waves are stomach along the the southeast coast is just ignorant.The renourisment seemed to hit there at the right time when some spring storms came through there a couple years ago and mapped out the floor for some nice setups anytime there is swell there. Thats funny how you make a comparison with getting in the gym or getting in shape makes you feel right at home in a large swell. Ya need to travel more mate, sure it can help with endurance and some strenghth, how do I know? After spending 5 days a week in the gym on weights, precors, jump rope, etc. I challenge your dumbass to fess up to a large northerly in PR or a stong SW swell along mexico, central america or cali. Or what would measure up to a noreaster or hurricane swell on the east coast. Another thing, having to work for a living might take you by surprise, but having family and commitments in the area is hard to deterr abruptly. In which I am cooking up something good to land my ass on the west coast, you dumb ****. I am very thankful and happy for what I have, It is just a simple fact that it has been a disappointment this summer and the past few for waves, period. Why dont ask any knowlegable surfer who has been around here a while. I am extremely stoked when we do get waves, never said I wasn't, it is just been ****ty, simple is that. When something is ****ty, I tend to say its ****ty. For instance, if my chosen college football team has dissapointing record this year , I will say it has a bad year, it has been ****ty for team. Yeah, it is what we have and thats cool, but its still is ****ty, when it can get alot better and I am not one to lie about it.
    Last edited by bfloyd; Aug 26, 2008 at 10:48 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Posts
    1,538
    yeah we have had some wist to stomach sets in wb so im not so dissapointed. and besides when the we get big surf like sat or fri you can always expectit to chop everything up.

  5. #15
    wow man, sorry to touch a nerve. i would have to agree with the administrator's comment a/b getting bored w/ the same waves after getting better, i can already feel the difference from my first year. to bfloyd - consider yourself lucky to have grown up on the coast, everyone is not as fortunate. also, in no way did i compare skating on pavement to the feel of fluid, i'm just saying it WILL increase your balance. that said, nothing can compare to experience, time and effort in the water. i also never referred to CB as a "world class"break at all, but to be called ignorant is simply uncalled for. what would you call a stomach high wave? when the buoy is reading 2.8 feet at 13 sec in a 20 min data collection period, that means there are plenty of sets larger than that, and I would call a 3.5 foot wave stomach high. just b/c you're angry a/b something doesn't mean you have to take it out on other people...the forum is way to talk about surfing and ask people for help/opinions, not berate each other...so for the record, i refuse to be called ignorant about the waves i surf everyday i can. nor did i say anything a/b getting in a gym..that's not going to help a thing...but you can sure get out in the water and swim a mile or two.

    btw, i really don't appreciate being called a dumbass or a dumb ****...it's ridiculous of you to use foul language on a forum where most of the people that post on here on in highschool or younger. you have no idea how foolish you're sounding, you don't even know what i do....i work two jobs and go to grad school man, so don't act like people need to feel sorry for you for missing a swell. to me, you do not sound like a person who is happy and thankful for what they have, to be calling people you don't know names and trying to make fun...you can challenge me to all the swells you want to. if i had the time and money i would go down to mex, CR, PR as often as possible, but living off less than 20g/yr and paying for my own school doesn't really make that possible...regardless, i've surfed rodanthe, long island, and maine on some solid swells (northeast got a solid head high swell at the end of July last year) and went out to Newport last fall and caught solid overhead waves for a week straight in Oct. and you're right, that kinda swell out west is nothing like we see around here, even on good tropical swell - heavy. i surf with plenty of older guys that have been around here their entire lives and none of them seem to complain too much. anyway, good luck with your move out west, i'm sure they'll be glad to see you. and i hope you don't talk like that around your kids. cheers mate...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by mmt View Post
    wow man, sorry to touch a nerve. i would have to agree with the administrator's comment a/b getting bored w/ the same waves after getting better, i can already feel the difference from my first year. to bfloyd - consider yourself lucky to have grown up on the coast, everyone is not as fortunate. also, in no way did i compare skating on pavement to the feel of fluid, i'm just saying it WILL increase your balance. that said, nothing can compare to experience, time and effort in the water. i also never referred to CB as a "world class"break at all, but to be called ignorant is simply uncalled for. what would you call a stomach high wave? when the buoy is reading 2.8 feet at 13 sec in a 20 min data collection period, that means there are plenty of sets larger than that, and I would call a 3.5 foot wave stomach high. just b/c you're angry a/b something doesn't mean you have to take it out on other people...the forum is way to talk about surfing and ask people for help/opinions, not berate each other...so for the record, i refuse to be called ignorant about the waves i surf everyday i can. nor did i say anything a/b getting in a gym..that's not going to help a thing...but you can sure get out in the water and swim a mile or two.

    btw, i really don't appreciate being called a dumbass or a dumb ****...it's ridiculous of you to use foul language on a forum where most of the people that post on here on in highschool or younger. you have no idea how foolish you're sounding, you don't even know what i do....i work two jobs and go to grad school man, so don't act like people need to feel sorry for you for missing a swell. to me, you do not sound like a person who is happy and thankful for what they have, to be calling people you don't know names and trying to make fun...you can challenge me to all the swells you want to. if i had the time and money i would go down to mex, CR, PR as often as possible, but living off less than 20g/yr and paying for my own school doesn't really make that possible...regardless, i've surfed rodanthe, long island, and maine on some solid swells (northeast got a solid head high swell at the end of July last year) and went out to Newport last fall and caught solid overhead waves for a week straight in Oct. and you're right, that kinda swell out west is nothing like we see around here, even on good tropical swell - heavy. i surf with plenty of older guys that have been around here their entire lives and none of them seem to complain too much. anyway, good luck with your move out west, i'm sure they'll be glad to see you. and i hope you don't talk like that around your kids. cheers mate...
    wow man your not pointing your finger at me i've never called you a dumbass or nothing and i know how you feel. But dont point your finger at me cause i know i was just saying that i've seen some stomach waves on me but i dont know how tall you are and im 5'8" so you can be taller but im only in high school which means im still growing. so i dont know you and you sound like a cool guy if i see you surfing down at wb then your welcome. but dont point fingers at me.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    740
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by wbsurfer View Post
    wow man your not pointing your finger at me i've never called you a dumbass or nothing and i know how you feel. But dont point your finger at me cause i know i was just saying that i've seen some stomach waves on me but i dont know how tall you are and im 5'8" so you can be taller but im only in high school which means im still growing. so i dont know you and you sound like a cool guy if i see you surfing down at wb then your welcome. but dont point fingers at me.
    dude, can't you tell he was replying to bfloyd.
    Man...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Posts
    1,538
    how about this everyone stop complaining about how thw waves suck. and just go out and surf when its knee high waves so what if its not all big just go out and have fun do what you like to do and thats surfing. even if it means just paddling around one if you just paddle around your building muscle and if you see a wave thats close to you go for it so just stop complaining about the waves. also all ofg you guys are acting like a bunch of kindergardners grow up.

  9. #19
    wbsurfer, as ledzepfreak said, none of that was to you....glad you got some waves....apparently it was decent at c st again today, but i didnt get to get out today...have fun...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by mmt View Post
    wbsurfer, as ledzepfreak said, none of that was to you....glad you got some waves....apparently it was decent at c st again today, but i didnt get to get out today...have fun...
    thanks man but i mainly surf down at crystal but sometimes i go up to c st but if you ever come down to crystal i'll be on the south end of the pier and will be rididng an al merrick flyer epoxy.