LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

gulf threat - gustav

I've noticed that the media has not put too much emphasis on potential threats to New Orleans from Gustav, but I know everyone is thinking about it. The latest track from the NHC, puts Gustav at a CAT 3 heading right towards the SE Louisianan coast on labor day. Its certainly too early to hit any panic buttons, but I'm sure the media will jump on this in the coming days if the track remains consistent.

I"m sure there is a lot of political/economic weight being pushed around here to the media with the threat of oil prices rising due to potential damage to the gulf of mexico offshore oil rigs. I'm sure there is some pressure to be conservative on the potential danger at this point.

Images
    Heard a report this AM about gas prices going up 10% over the holiday weekend because of the storm threat and the holiday itself

Go fill up the tank now peopleee...its about to get realll ugly.

Images
    Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said he could declare a state of emergency by Thursday and warned residents to be prepared.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post
    Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said he could declare a state of emergency by Thursday and warned residents to be prepared.
    Thats a good thing. Residents should figure out the evacuation plans now rather than later...

Images
    even if it goes up 10-15% today, it will still be cheaper than it was a couple weeks ago

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by THE joe whittle View Post
    even if it goes up 10-15% today, it will still be cheaper than it was a couple weeks ago
    $3.50 x 1.15 (15%) = $4.03

Hopefully we dont have to see a $0.53 increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    IMO, they shouldn't be emphasizing NOLA - not yet anyway -
    I think putting a line at the center of the 5 day out cone is a mistake. It emphasizes a line when the AVERAGE Hurricane Center forecasting error for 5 days out is 250 miles and 40 miles per hour. That line is about 10 miles wide when by the NHC's own best assessment of their accuracy, they don't know whether Gustav is headed for Texas, LA, MISS, ALA, or the FLA panhandle.

I think you may be a little off with regards to the motives of the media. I think its likely that they are just more focused on the DNC.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Porto View Post
    I think you may be a little off with regards to the motives of the media. I think its likely that they are just more focused on the DNC.
    i was just observing that I'm not hearing the potential threat being mentioned. This is probobally a good thing, since there is a lot of uncertainty at this point. But, I think there is a certain amount of carefulness in the way the media has to express such threats, since it can create a lot of buzz.