Last winter I surfed with my 6' quad fish. I just got that board back in november at my cousin's shop out in santa monica. That board was supposed to serve as my "shortboard" in a sense, and I had a lot of fun with it last winter. I didn't have a shortboard before that because I am just learning how to "shortboard" currently (and since last november). Because i was transitioning to shorter boards, my cousin thought that the width of the fish would be more forgiving and allow me to learn more easily.

The width, I've found out, may also be a problem for me. I am just starting to really get my turns down and I'm understanding surfing a lot better. It was a whole realization that I had, and it has made me a better surfer altogether. It also helps that I'm learning my turns on my longboard so that way the fish seems a lot easier to carve with.

One of my friends last week told me that I probably need a shortboard for the winter, and my fish is probably not the best thing to take out. I completely understand his point, but I just don't know if it is completely necessary. Since I'm only a kid, I don't have a lot of money to spend, so I want to make my purchases really worthwhile. Someday, obviously, I will get a shortboard but does anyone think that it is absolutely necessary and I must get one (used most likely) soon!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!