LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

Post Place to stay close to a breaking spot in OC

Ok I am trying to plan on going to OC to do some surfing before the COLD comes through, but seeing some talk how beach restoration has killed most of the sand bars (what happened cause I was there in the early 90's and ya all had some nice sand bar breaks going on) so that sounds like I wouldn't get much of a line to ride. So where is it breaking decently now a days?? From what I see on the cams looks to be nothin but shore break

I guess I'll be a bit kooky trying to get back the lost basics and besides that I used to be a heavy smoker (yeah both types) and that took most of my wind away and became short winded on my last trip to Costa Rica so the smoking was taking its toll to paddle and getting held under meant close to downing, so I've finally quit after many years and starting to get my wind back so now I think I can handle it again.

Definitely do not want head-overhead conditions to fart around with, but more less waist-chest fun stuff. I need a hotel 100-150 close to a breaking surf spot (preferably within walking distance of it) If surfing beaches are still in effect then I'm going to need a place near there as I'm looking to surf as much as I can for the few days I'll be there. Then I need a shop that allows the rental of a decent short board to use. I know how shops are about renting and most have thick crap boards that are the rentals and I do not want to hunt allover town for a decent board to be able to use.

So if anyone can suggest where to surf/stay/shop I would appreciate any info. I know how the rules work so not by any means coming to be "another kook" who knows nothing and not to drop in on others, although I'm gonna look like a kook trying to get that experience I had back. Thanks for any help. Laters

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel4liberty View Post
    getting held under meant close to downing, so I've finally quit after many years and starting to get my wind back so now I think I can handle it again.

Definitely do not want head-overhead conditions
    i dont think this weekend would be a good one for you

i would definitely come this weekend... very manageable..... you might be able to stay with chauncey... im sure he will be charging this swell hahah

ks

Quote Originally Posted by windswellsucks View Post
    i dont think this weekend would be a good one for you
    LOL I know its getting kicked up, trying to time it so I can catch the tail end, possibly all cleaned up, but I'm not saying I wouldn't try. I'm pretty ballsy, I surfed Andrew in Vero beach in a FULL ARM CAST. Yeah that's right I paddled 1 arm into 8-10 foot chop made it out without a duck dive for 1 wave and went back in after I realized this is NUTZ to be trying this, but hey being a surfer was about NO FEAR

Hope someone can recommend a motel/hotel so I don't have to chose one where its not breaking...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel4liberty View Post
    I'm pretty ballsy, I surfed Andrew in Vero beach in a FULL ARM CAST. Yeah that's right I paddled 1 arm into 8-10 foot chop made it out without a duck dive for 1 wave and went back in after I realized this is NUTZ to be trying this, but hey being a surfer was about NO FEAR
    youre awesome

youre awesome
    Heh, but I can tell ya another day that I'll never forget 10/31/91 the infamous Halloween swell! The most fantastic thing I had ever seen at my home break of 6 years never seen til that day. Outer reefs were breaking top to bottom peeling a 1/2-1 mile out. Me and a few buddies went spear fishing during summer lake atlantic when it was clear to dive and water depth had to be 20-25ft. IF those outer reefs were not there to absorb that swell energy it would have been insane 20 ft+ beach break waves!! It was still 8+ when it reached the inner shore w 2 ft backwash. We actually rode the backwash back out. It was truly UNREAL to be a surfer that day and I can say I was there and did it

idk if your talkin about OC Jersey or OCMD, but OCMD stay at the thunderbird motel, hike one of the 10 blocks on 30th street, K-coast is on 36th go grab a board there. And this weekend is not lookin good for ya if you want that waist to chest fun stuff....Overhead+ is pretty definite.

Love Jon Angot

youre awesome
    hahahhahahah