LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21

    watermen only!

    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochill93 View Post
    i get this bull**** sometimes too from my parents

    as if im gonna drown with a surfboard strapped to my leg??
    listen up. a surfboard to your leg means nothing when 5 sets brake on your face and rip ur board into three. Rips in hurricane type surf are like nothing you will experience in short lived wind swells. When the water air-rates and your tooming for 15 seconds underwater...it feels like a minute. thats why your mom is keeping you out...cuz u rely on your surfboard to stay a float. seriously, sunday evening will be perfectly glassy and clean and smaller. show your parents this and tell them to take you down to the beach sunday evening. saturday will be a great day for body surfing for the watermen. the water is 75 +. so with some fins and some balls you can get a great drop but hardly worth surfing when it gets like this. All though there will be a surfing potential for the more experienced/pros. be carefull kiddies!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berlin MD
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by OBlove View Post
    listen up. a surfboard to your leg means nothing when 5 sets brake on your face and rip ur board into three. Rips in hurricane type surf are like nothing you will experience in short lived wind swells. When the water air-rates and your tooming for 15 seconds underwater...it feels like a minute. thats why your mom is keeping you out...cuz u rely on your surfboard to stay a float. seriously, sunday evening will be perfectly glassy and clean and smaller. show your parents this and tell them to take you down to the beach sunday evening. saturday will be a great day for body surfing for the watermen. the water is 75 +. so with some fins and some balls you can get a great drop but hardly worth surfing when it gets like this. All though there will be a surfing potential for the more experienced/pros. be carefull kiddies!
    rips are no joke. A guy got caught in the SS jetty rip this wednesday (so we're talking what Chest high). Head injury on the rocks, lots of blood. CPR on the beach and from that i heard permanent brain damage from the long time his breathing was stopped.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    740
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by rgnsup View Post
    You think the surfboard will save you everytime? You think everyone who has died from surfing didn't have a surfboard strapped to their leg?

    Gotta get a better mentality about that and always be prepared no matter what you have.
    so right, like in big conditions, leashes have been known to catapult the board back at you and what if the leash broke? It happens. Just from the Hannah waves the past week, my leash string is already unraveling and i need to buy a new one

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochill93 View Post
    i get this bull**** sometimes too from my parents

    as if im gonna drown with a surfboard strapped to my leg??
    Every surfer that's ever drowned had a surfboard strapped to thier leg....at some point.

  5. #25

    i feel your pain

    dude i know exactly where you are comin from. my parents are the same way. and i'm all the way up in jersey. its not even gonna hit us that hard. its B.S.

  6. #26
    Tuesday is looking good to

  7. #27
    know your limits. that's all. never, ever, ever, ever, have i heard or seen an experienced surfer/waterman die or even feel threatened whatsoever by a rip current. people die and get injured when they are in rips if they are not experienced and familiar with the ocean. as a surfer, sponger, bodysurfer, paddler and beach patrol member i will personally allow any person who is knowledgeable and experienced into the water in dangerous conditions, because i can trust that they are just as capable as myself in the water.

    however, i would absolutely never, under any circumstances, ever let an inexperienced surfer/swimmer/sponger into the water. rips are no joke to the inexperienced. it's like a ski lift for surfing to us, but its a death trap to others. even a rip pulling for onl 25 yards is incredibly dangerous to someone who has not logged serious hours in the ocean.

    any time it gets head high from tropical swell in ocean city we get a incredibly huge surge in rip current strength and activity. more water in = more water out. on labor day rips were pulling 100-150 yards out, which is a very strong and serious rip. sunday, as on labor day, people will not be allowed out past waist deep on my beach, and those i deem incapable will not be allowed in at all.

    anyways, the point of all this is that your parents are going on the fear factor of rip currents and heavy tropical swell that the media and governmental agencies have successfully spread. though it does not apply to us, the experienced community, it does absolutely apply to everyone else, and we are the minority. your parents are looking out for you, and i grew up with the same concerns and restrictions. the best thing to do is have them watch you, and to explain what myself and these other guys have been saying. hell, my mom still calls after a big swell to make sure im okay. if you feel in danger, get out of the water. its going to be BIG.

    safe surfing all, ill see you in the water

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berlin MD
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by capesurfer View Post
    on labor day rips were pulling 100-150 yards out, which is a very strong and serious rip. sunday, as on labor day, people will not be allowed out past waist deep on my beach, and those i deem incapable will not be allowed in at all.

    anyways, the point of all this is that your parents are going on the fear factor of rip currents and heavy tropical swell that the media and governmental agencies have successfully spread. though it does not apply to us, the experienced community, it does absolutely apply to everyone else, and we are the minority. your parents are looking out for you, and i grew up with the same concerns and restrictions. the best thing to do is have them watch you, and to explain what myself and these other guys have been saying. hell, my mom still calls after a big swell to make sure im okay. if you feel in danger, get out of the water. its going to be BIG.

    safe surfing all, ill see you in the water
    Dude, what on earth are you talking about? Labor day was like shoulder high in OC. I surfed with hundreds of others, and clearly not all were "experienced" It wasn't BIG just decent sized. Saturday is obviously a washing machine and will be unridable in OC. Sunday is forecast to be head fading to chest high. Were not talking Puerto Escondido here.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    740
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by capesurfer View Post
    know your limits. that's all. never, ever, ever, ever, have i heard or seen an experienced surfer/waterman die or even feel threatened whatsoever by a rip current. people die and get injured when they are in rips if they are not experienced and familiar with the ocean. as a surfer, sponger, bodysurfer, paddler and beach patrol member i will personally allow any person who is knowledgeable and experienced into the water in dangerous conditions, because i can trust that they are just as capable as myself in the water.

    however, i would absolutely never, under any circumstances, ever let an inexperienced surfer/swimmer/sponger into the water. rips are no joke to the inexperienced. it's like a ski lift for surfing to us, but its a death trap to others. even a rip pulling for onl 25 yards is incredibly dangerous to someone who has not logged serious hours in the ocean.

    any time it gets head high from tropical swell in ocean city we get a incredibly huge surge in rip current strength and activity. more water in = more water out. on labor day rips were pulling 100-150 yards out, which is a very strong and serious rip. sunday, as on labor day, people will not be allowed out past waist deep on my beach, and those i deem incapable will not be allowed in at all.

    anyways, the point of all this is that your parents are going on the fear factor of rip currents and heavy tropical swell that the media and governmental agencies have successfully spread. though it does not apply to us, the experienced community, it does absolutely apply to everyone else, and we are the minority. your parents are looking out for you, and i grew up with the same concerns and restrictions. the best thing to do is have them watch you, and to explain what myself and these other guys have been saying. hell, my mom still calls after a big swell to make sure im okay. if you feel in danger, get out of the water. its going to be BIG.

    safe surfing all, ill see you in the water
    yeah, If you don't know the ocean, don't swim in it when in doubt. I've been surfing for the best of a couple of months so far but I've been playing in the ocean ever since I was a baby. So my past experiences help my surfing greatly.

    It annoys me when tourists or other people just come and say they want to surf, but they live in like Kansas! People who surf and are good at it spend a lot of time in the ocean and it's a living breathing thing unlike a stagnant pool.

    NOTE: To prevent confusion, I'm annoyed that they treat the ocean as if it's a Wave Pool at a water park. If they wanna learn to surf, kudos to them! But respect mother ocean.

  10. #30
    it was absolutely rideable today, around 6 ... winds switched SW and then W hard, pretty damn good out there. and labor day was def. chest high, with some plus sets in ocean city.