LOGIN | REGISTER

Images

Beachy or jetty?

Just wonderin which is more dangerous. With jetty's, there's always the chance of being swept into the jetty by currents. But then with beachys, if u get caught inside theres almost no way out. I've surfed big waves at both, but to me they had about the same chance of bein hurt. I'm just wonderin which would be safer to go to in ocean county sunday morning.

I think it depends on your experience level. I personally will not be dropping in at a peak w/ 6-8ft size that is breaking directly in front of the jetty unless it's far out. I will be a little more positioned towards shoulder that way if I eat it, at least I dont have to worry about getting drilled into the rocks.

Really depends on how big it is and the conditions. If it's clean and glassy, kind of have to just go for it and trust your instincts and skills. Most likely if you fall, the wave will still propel you a bit towards where you are leaning left or right--which gives you some time to avoid the jetty.

Off topic, What sucks about Sunday is that the winds seem to still be a bit out of control in the morning, so conditions might be a little blown out. Late afternoon is looking like it will get pretty gnarly.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dredg2 View Post
    Off topic, What sucks about Sunday is that the winds seem to still be a bit out of control in the morning, so conditions might be a little blown out. Late afternoon is looking like it will get pretty gnarly.
    Where will it still be out of control??

Images
    the enitre mid-atlantic is looking like stiff offshores for sunday morning....spells out "top-to-bottom" to me

i dont see the problem

I meant bit out of control as the winds will be between 12-16 (kts) or more on sunday morning in Jersey, most spots will be sideshore WNW which to me seems like it might be a little tricky in some spots--but whatever.Still be sick time.

Images
    Nuggets to be had by all...well almost all...

Good Luck to the NYBB....

I just hope Sunday morning will a good time, I can't surf in the afternoon when the conditions are supposedly going to be even better.

sunay

the winds are going to be mostly west. and if in the morning if the wind is going to be south you just sit off of a jetty that protects from the wind and you will be set