LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

carbon fiber shortboards

are carbon fiber boards worth the money

i surfed on one and it felt exactly like a tuflite board ,,, and when you hit the lip all you hear is BOOOM like an ecko in the board its wierd but gains speed really really easly

just don't hit anything hard or there goes a lot of money

thanks..i broke my firewire in half while surfing hannah so idk what to get yet...guess i will chill with my retrofish until i decide

firewire

yea, my firewire is toast, def thinkin about getting a carbon fiber board, or mabe even one of those resin8's, all i got to ride is my lost rnf, it will do for the meantime.

I was interested in those boards too. From what I read they sound light, responsive, and fast. But I too wanted to hear a little feedback on them before I invested so much money.
    Njsurf14 is the only response I have seen from someone that actually rode one but was a little vague as to whether or not he/she was impressed and thought it was worth the dough.

I have two carbonfibers a 5,8" rnf and a lost 6,1" there great boards fast and light i would say if you have the money dont think twice about getting one i would go on aviso website and maybe order one from them because the surfshops around here arent carrying that many anymore to expensive i guess also make sure you read the info on how to take care of them because the first one i had i didnt take the drain plug out enough and when i dropped in on a wave it snapped to much pressure good thing though aviso replaced it for free and no questions asked the only down fall to them is if you wipeout and the board hits you the board hurts you cause they dont have to much give other then that its a great board and you should buy one today.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidOlya View Post
    I was interested in those boards too. From what I read they sound light, responsive, and fast. But I too wanted to hear a little feedback on them before I invested so much money.
    Njsurf14 is the only response I have seen from someone that actually rode one but was a little vague as to whether or not he/she was impressed and thought it was worth the dough.
    Are you talking firewires? Njsurf14 mentioned both CF and Firewire.

As far as being light or fast, Firewires are made from the same basic materials as other EPS boards using 1 lb foam...foam, stringers, resin, and cloth. They're lighter than a poly board, not lighter than other EPS boards.

As far as being fast goes, speed is about planing surface and rocker - not stringers. Any poly or EPS board with the same hull design will be just as fast.

From riders I've spoken to, the difference is in the flex characteristics during turns.

Quote Originally Posted by avisorider View Post
    I have two carbonfibers a 5,8" rnf and a lost 6,1" there great boards fast and light i would say if you have the money dont think twice about getting one i would go on aviso website and maybe order one from them because the surfshops around here arent carrying that many anymore to expensive i guess also make sure you read the info on how to take care of them because the first one i had i didnt take the drain plug out enough and when i dropped in on a wave it snapped to much pressure good thing though aviso replaced it for free and no questions asked the only down fall to them is if you wipeout and the board hits you the board hurts you cause they dont have to much give other then that its a great board and you should buy one today.
    I heard they are real quick, but don have a lot of flex. You can ride a lot shorter than your typical poly resin boards because of the added buoyancy. I would stick with poly boards...there is a good reason so many pros still ride the old school polyester sticks. Plus if you ding...you better know a boat repair guy! A lot of shops won't touch 'em

very few people in the mid-Atlantic have the skills to notice the difference between a carbon fiber board and a poly or eps board.