LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Big is Big?

Question How Big is Big?

Alright everybody, I'm throwing this out there because I know everyone has their limit. At what size do you start to get intimidated and really think twice about paddling into a wave or paddling out at all? I just want to get an idea of everyones extremes.

All depends on what the wave is breaking over for me. If it is a 20 foot face and breaking over a perfect reef and the wave is makable each time, that is not scary after taking a few. Take the same wave on sand or rock where it is not perfect and rarely makeable, well that is a whole other ball of wax.

I have surfed many big waves but conditions make me more fearful than size.

Images
    I say if I can make the paddle out then I'll make the drop in.

Edit: At least on the East Coast
    Last edited by mikedub; Sep 18, 2008 at 05:55 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Joyner View Post
    All depends on what the wave is breaking over for me. If it is a 20 foot face and breaking over a perfect reef and the wave is makable each time, that is not scary after taking a few. Take the same wave on sand or rock where it is not perfect and rarely makeable, well that is a whole other ball of wax.

I have surfed many big waves but conditions make me more fearful than size.
    ...what he said plus the whole atmosphere around me, ie... water temp is a repectable factor, color of water, entry and exit points( I am thinking of Honolua Bay).
    ________
    Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
    Last edited by SkySurfnSnow; Jan 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM.

i'll agree w/ mike. in the monmouth/ocean county area, if i could make the paddle, i'll make the drop. one day, years ago, i didn't attempt the paddle. i can't remember which cane it was, but it came right up the coast. easy triple over head. one guy at the pumphouse made it out, took one wave and that was it for him. it was gigantic.

Images
    Top to Bottom waves such as those found up here on the East Coast..can get sketchy when it gets big. But waves down in PR or like Joyner said, reef breaks where the drops are semi-mellow and very makable, a lot more feasible.

Images
    agreed with chris - not all about size. But with that being said, I will use the word Big around here when we are in the 6-8ft range.

Images
    if you have only surfed a few times this year, you must not surf that often to begin with, even if you do have a merrick. my advice to you if you are new at surfing and the bigest waves you caught before were waist to chest high, head high is probably your limit, especially getting into the fall/winter storms when it packs a bigger punch then the summer time mush. anything over head high you probably shouldnt enter the water because most likely dont know the ocean well enough and the conditions that go along with bigger waves...in other words it seperates the boys from the men and the idiots from the experienced

for me i think double overhead would be my limit on the fish. i cant duck dive like i was able to on my short board. but if its clean and on sets then id at least try to get out and try it again.

Images
    it is very much true as super fish said, that when we get a big swell, it really separates the crowd out. Generally, the less experienced will be on the shoulder watching most of the time when it is solid.