LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    If you are new to surfing and shortboarding specifically, I would not got with anything but a thruster. There's a reason why most people ride them.
    i got a thruster first before my retros, believe me i love the retros much better (im a fish fan) but the transition from the thruster to a retro will be a lot easier than a funboard to a retro..
    i use my quad most of the time but when its bigger i still bring the thruster out. pumpmaster makes a good point, also once you find out what shortboard you should be riding its a lot easier to figure out the sizes of your specialty boards

I guess I'm biased because I rode all those types back in the old days before they were retros and hated them. All my non-thruster types ( a twin and a quad) all have modern templates. Don't get me wrong, those types of boards can be fun, but for a solid, ride in any condition board for our area, I just don't think you can beat a thruster.

True for all out performance go for the shortboard, but since the op says he is riding a fun shape the next learning board would be a fish. its looser then the funshape, but still paddles well.

i went from a 7'4 funshape to a 6'3 performance thurster. i hated the thruster because it was just to loose and i didnt know how to ride it properly. traded up and got a 6'4 fish and couldnt be happier.(except for days where its Overhead+ then i wish i had a board i could duck dive.) surfing my quad fish has made me a better surfer over all, teaching how to keep speed and turning to stay with the wave. once you get those under control then move to a thruster. but go with the fish to get better

Agree on the fish (but not retro fish). a good fish is a must for the mid-atlantic shortboard quiver. i ride my RNF at least 50% of the time.

why not get a quad, then on smaller days just go with two fins?

I don't like my quad on bigger days. i like the response of a thruster better. the quad holds and makes nice drawn out turns, but lacks the ability to pivot like a thruster

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    I don't like my quad on bigger days. i like the response of a thruster better. the quad holds and makes nice drawn out turns, but lacks the ability to pivot like a thruster
    perfectly said. just as if saturday turns out like predicted(not saying it will) i would love to have a thruster to move quick and turn on a dime

Images
    Get a custom AJW Bat tail Quad.

With Futures...and you'll be all set....... if interested PM me.

Thumbs up

gotta tell ya... I'm gald I brought this to you guys on here. Getting everyone's opinion has really helped out alot. I still didn't decide what to do yet but all very good suggestions and appreciated very much

thanks guys,

get some this weekend!!

why not get a board with 5 fin plugs????