LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Twin fin or Quad fin Fish?

I'm just wondering what the difference is between a quad and a twin fin fish. Also, if there is a significant difference, which one works best for the east coast? I'm fairly new to the sport and would really appreciate a more experienced opinion. thanks

Twins are looser and quads tend to be tighter. Twinnies are fun for small days. are you looking for an all around shortboard? if so, i'd go with a thruster.

i would go with a twinzer..i have one and it works great and flys.. it is not as loose as a twin tho...quads hold up much better in larger surf

i ride a twin and a quad retro both are quick, smooth and fun but like he said above the quad is suppose to hold better in bigger surf if you like to surf smaller stuff either one is fine just get the right dimensions and dont go too big

what is too big? i've heard to go the same length as you are tall. but also heard to go about 4-6 inches shorter than your normal board. I currently have a 7'4'' funshape that I have been learning on. I feel like a 7'0'' - 6'10'' fish is huge!... i'm 180lbs. I don't paddle out on big days. I'm not real confident that the funshape is what i should have out there on a bigger days. I'd like to at least have the option of being able to try surfing conditions like we've been having during storms.

get a thruster.

get a quad/tri, very versatile and the only downside is the extra "weight" of the 5th fin plug.

rock it as a quad when its small, then pull the rear 2 fins and put in a single trailing fin if it gets bigger. more than likely youll just run it as a quad all the time (thats what i do since its so much fun)

Quote Originally Posted by robernt3 View Post
    what is too big? i've heard to go the same length as you are tall. but also heard to go about 4-6 inches shorter than your normal board. I currently have a 7'4'' funshape that I have been learning on. I feel like a 7'0'' - 6'10'' fish is huge!... i'm 180lbs. I don't paddle out on big days. I'm not real confident that the funshape is what i should have out there on a bigger days. I'd like to at least have the option of being able to try surfing conditions like we've been having during storms.
    yea a 6'10'' fish is huge dude a funshape isnt your normal shortboard don't base it on that.. i am 5'7'' 150 i ride a 5'6'' twin and 5'8'' quad to give you an idea, if youre 180 id def look at a 5'10'' your shortboard would prolly be 6'2'' i dont know how tall you are tho, the drop in size is significant tho and will take some getting use to

im 6'3 and 200 lbs and im riding a 6'4 quad. quick and handles pretty well. not real loose but you get good sweeping turns.

If you are new to surfing and shortboarding specifically, I would not got with anything but a thruster. There's a reason why most people ride them.