LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wave Snobs

dude i live in VA beach and you are crazy if you going to cross the bay on a jet ski with another dude on back to surf that asking for trouble if it big enough for island to break with that kinda size the bay is going to be rough

that's not crazy. If you've done your homework and think you've got the experience/skill, don't listen to people, just do it. I just got back from a trip to San diego, my boy out there routinely takes his waverunner 20-30 miles out spearfishing at kelp paddies, he even drove it to Catalina Island.

Quote Originally Posted by hurgghh View Post
    I surf 1-2 foot crap to 8-10 foot perfection and love every minute of it. it dont matter to me if it sucks or if its perfect. perfect is better of course but if its big and blown out, ill go out to try and get one or two big drops just for the hell of it. what pisses me off is people who snob over waves like little girls. only going out if the conditions are right, think theyre too good to surf when all the coniditions dont line up. the way i see it its the bad days that make us appreciate tho good ones. id rather be out there in head high chop paddling my ass off than doing anything else. i love the ocean and i appreciate the power and force of waves produced by a storm. I love to push myself and am always trying to get to the next level. Here in VA we dont get many good days, and most of our swell is nor easter swell of hurricane swell. which means drifty blown out days most of the time, with an occasional W wind and spitting barrels if you know where to look. most of the people i know or surf with got soo many other problems in their life due to drugs drinking bad money management etc. I can never find anyone as stoked as me when waves do come. I just recently bought a jetski to do tow surfing and for access to some really good spots such as fishermans island. Problem is i dont know anyone good enough at surfing or crazy enough to charge with me and its getting really frustrating, growing up in South Africa and being able to surf some of the best waves in the world like J-Bay and being able to travel to places like costa rica has really pushed me to seek after bigger waves, and around here in VA the only time we get big waves is during storms. Im 24 and i live in yorktown, im married to a wonderfull wife who understands surfing comes first and supports my crazy antics. If anyone feels like i feel and is frustrated with their group of loser surf buddies drop me a shout and we'll go for a surf.

Who cares? Considering how HARDCORE you are who could keep up with you? hahahahhahaha

Seriously though this post is awful and hardly deserved a response let alone the 3 pages of douchery that proceed it. Of course if I were stuck in a waveless wasteland in VA an hour from crappy VA Beach crap surf I'd happily surf crap too, when I got the chance to of course. My advice to you would be to shut up and enjoy the serenity your affinity for crap surf affords you and save the whining for your wife.

Yo billabong, i dont drive across the bay, theres a launch real close by to fishermans, the only thing is wind restrictions on the bay bridge tunnel, that would be the only reason to go across the bay, about 16 miles, takes a little over an hour, longer if its rough.

Simple. Move.

Talk your wife into it, look for another job or a transfer if possible. I've done that with my girl, it's possible. There are two types of surfers. Ones who do it in thier free time, and those who let thier lives revolve around not only riding waves, but the sea itself. Don't get me wrong, I have due respect for both. Choose which one you are and if it's the latter, then start making the steps to make it happen. It's all about placement. It may take awhile and carry some consequences, but if it's who you are, it's the right decision.

And the further away from citys you are the less drama you have to deal with. There are many lost people who live on the shore, and Dora definately still lives, but he is nothing compared to the shady side of the metropolitan.

Get outta that hellhole.

that's a good point , only time i tried to get over there was on a boat from the rudee it sucked

Yea dude Rudee is like a good 30 miles or so from fishermans that would take like 3 hours over the open ocean, where i launch its like a 5 minute drive on the jetski to the break.