LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Soul Surfers vs. Punks and Crazy Locals

Why are there such varied types out there in the line up? For me, its simply about respect, having fun and the keeping the spirit of the sport alive but i hear more and more stories of fights and wacky locals...not cool.
    --cant we all just get along

well spoken.

geuss it is just America, we're one big melting pot....

Quote Originally Posted by smithtim View Post
    well spoken.

geuss it is just America, we're one big melting pot....
    --I think it has something to do the whole X game mentality...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyUtah View Post
    Why are there such varied types out there in the line up? For me, its simply about respect, having fun and the keeping the spirit of the sport alive but i hear more and more stories of fights and wacky locals...not cool.

The more people there are in the line-up, the more of a chance that tempers flaring and fists flying. No one certain type of person surfs. "Punks" are everywhere. I'm not gonna argue what is or isn't punk, I'm sayin that there are so many varied types of people surfing it's not suprise. We laugh at kooks, shake our heads at aggro mother effers, and respect the locals ALWAYS! Accidents happen. We've all burned someone on accident, and have been burned for that matter.

The locals have earned the right for their pick of the set. Just sit back and get some scraps. You gotta earn that spot in the line-up.

--I think it has something to do the whole X game mentality...

might be ; there is defintely been a 1000% increase in the # people in the water. I remember back in the days you could paddle out in dbl overhead at a good spot and there would be 2 or 3 people out. Now it is more like 30

geuss a better reason for me to do that surf trip to some isolated place I've been dreaming of and planning for the last 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by smithtim View Post
    might be ; there is defintely been a 1000% increase in the # people in the water. I remember back in the days you could paddle out in dbl overhead at a good spot and there would be 2 or 3 people out. Now it is more like 30

geuss a better reason for me to do that surf trip to some isolated place I've been dreaming of and planning for the last 10 years

I surf the Jersey shore for the most part and are always on the far side of the line up out of respect for locals and more experienced paddlers---I dont mind waiting for scraps and its mellow--BUT even there I've been snaked or told to find another beach--perhaps there are simply too many people out there.
    I just think if everyone "got it" -- in that surfing as a spiritual thing instead of an EXTREAM sport things would be different.

I've yelled at plenty of people in the line up, never started any fights though. I've also been yelled at just as many though. The thing is, if someone REALLY effs up someone should let them know, but theres no need to be a douche about it.

I just think if everyone "got it" -- in that surfing as a spiritual thing instead of an EXTREAM sport things would be different.

yeah I couldn't agree more; to me it's a way of life! While I love the feeling I get after riding something like a good dbl or trpl overhead wave it doesn't really compare to the peace that surfing gives me. Just beeing out there and away from all the BS in the world is what I really love about it.
    Last edited by smithtim; Oct 3, 2008 at 02:27 PM.

great mentality if only more people understood that. That's what the hawaiians were aiming at when they first paddled out and challenged mother nature.

PastorDan Guest

No Worries in the OBX

I just got back from a great vacation in the OBX. I have been surfing for 20 years and have run into all types of people. In OC I cut off a woman by total accident in a crowd of about 125 people on 48th street and her old man threatened to beat me up while asking if I like to cut off women. What the? I have been yelled at by some dude at the Naval Jetty in 3 foot mush...I have watched one guy surf like he was in a contest at Belmar--he had to have every single wave...

That's why I love the OBX. There are 100 breaks per 1 break from Northern DE to Assateague...you just pick a spot and paddle out. This past week I started with Kyle and ended up surfing chest high from Monday through Friday...not a soul in sight--except the dolphins of course!

We just live in a "me" society is the bottom line. People are just all about themselves...locals, yahoos, kooks....it's rare to find people in the water who are just there to surf and have a great time....I'll stick with the OBX.