LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

Epoxy vs. Polyester

Broke my polester 9'6" Walden on Sunday in OC...that sucked. I'm looking to replace it with a 9'0" 3 phase epoxy Walden. I've been checking into the differences between the two...weighing the pros with the cons. Seems like you sacrifice some detail and performance with the epoxy, but you get a board more resistant to dings and dents. I surf the Naval Jetties and IRI so less dings and dents might be worth the sacrifice. Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone know how easy the 3 phase epoxy boards are to fix?

Images
    Epoxy = more durable, Epoxy = harder to fix, but not to bad with some practice.

I have fixed dings on my epoxy easily and it does float more than others

fiberglass alll the way!

Quote Originally Posted by ...LostInFlorida View Post
    fiberglass alll the way!
    I agree that you can't beat the detail and performance in polyester boards, but what about durability, price, and environmental effects?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I agree that you can't beat the detail and performance in polyester boards, but what about durability, price, and environmental effects?
    Epoxy's are no more better for the environment that a polyester board. they still use basically the same foam blanks that fiberglass boards use, but instead are wrapped in an Epoxy skin.

if you really want to 'go green' buy an Aviso, it is the strongest, most eco-friendly board on the market.

look at the top 45 on the dream tour, all (except Taj on his firewire.) everyone rides polyester.

i'm seeing a trend here.

epoxy's are mass produced but if you get a board from a local shaper, his board's will be fit for the waves you are riding locally. Epoxy's are a bit more expensive but last longer because they are lighter and more durable. i have two: a santa cruz and a rusty 6'0 pihranna

epoxy = stronger

i borke my firewire in half sunday, it had no dings at all and was 2 years old, the proformace was great but im not sure if it was worth the money, i also have a bondi epoxy fish that cracked. and epoxy boards are not choice in choppy conditons, honesty i end up riding my polyu lost rnf 80 percent of the time.

peanut butter, 18, quarry, north side, fishing jetty
    I went through 2 Walden Magic 3phase Epoxy boards this year.... The first one buckled in 3 foot choppy conditions on a bottom turn. That board was replaced for free by Walden since they agreed it was a manufacturer defect. The second just met its fate on Monday when I was paddling out....a wave that really didnt seem to heavy came in and hit the back third of the board and just destroyed it... Dont get me wrong the board was a TON of fun but for the money and amount of time I had it... I think there has gotta be better out there.