LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: video editing

Hybrid View

Images

video editing

Hey you guys that have been editing vidz. What are some good programs to use. I have a whole bunch of video from the Fosters Belmar Pro. And would like to compile a good video from it. I need something professional....any ideas?

Thanks!

Avid or Final Cut Pro! If you're not editing with either of these programs you need too! All the major blockbuster films are being edited with Avid or Final Cut. I've even heard Final Cut may become the industries premiere editing system for the future.

http://www.avid.com/
    Last edited by bb01021; Oct 3, 2008 at 09:06 PM.

Hey if you are new to editing a really good fun and easy program to use is sony vegas. Its easy to learn and you can make some decent edits with it. The learning curve for final cut and avid can be hard, not to bash on them or anything.
    ________
    Herb Scales
    Last edited by samsurfs; Mar 5, 2011 at 07:58 AM.

Images

Digital editing

I can only speak for the Mac platform. iMovie (pre-packaged on any new Mac) is a cheap but limited vehicle for basic non-linear editing. The current iLife which includes other programs such as iDVD and Garage Band pricing from Apple is only $79, but you get about what you pay for. You can do titles, transitions, limited audio mixing (two tracks) including importing audio files and sound effects with iMovie, music authoring with Garage Band. Extra music loop packs are an added expense. It's not a bad place to get your feet wet, but it will sometimes be glitchy and you will eventually find it very limiting.

For $199 you can get into Apple's Final Cut Express which is a limited version of Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Pro pushes up around $1,299 but that includes Soundtrack Pro authoring music and sound effects loops as well as Live Type for animated text and graphics and DVD Studio Pro for finalizing your product. Avid Express supports both Mac and PC and Adobe's Premiere software supports both platforms as well.

While there are a variety of others out there, if you're serious about it, don't scrimp. Dabble with the cheap ones to learn the ropes, and then you'll know if you want to take the bigger plunge. FYI- Some software suppliers offer sizable discounts for Education based customers like students and teachers with proper documentation. Check with your college book store or at http://www.apple.com/education/store, or http://www.creationengine.com Compare these with your usual sources for publicly available software.
    Last edited by MDSurfer; Oct 3, 2008 at 10:58 PM.

Images
    Thanks for everyone's feedback I will take a look at some of those apps. Hopefully I will be able to upload a vid on here soon

MDsurfer - I use windows. So imovie's no good for me...my buddy has it and we were playing around with it....It was pretty cool we added some music and stuff. But, I need something serious.

I think I'm gonna look into Final Cut Pro.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post
    Thanks for everyone's feedback I will take a look at some of those apps. Hopefully I will be able to upload a vid on here soon

MDsurfer - I use windows. So imovie's no good for me...my buddy has it and we were playing around with it....It was pretty cool we added some music and stuff. But, I need something serious.

If you're PC based, you'd be better off with Adobe Premiere, or Avid. Final Cut Pro is only for Macs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post

like everyone else said Final Cut if your using mac.... for windows probably Vegas.... there both pretty expensive though just find a crack