LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Costa Rica

You can fly to Tamarindo from SJ on a little puddle jumper. The drive sucks.

About Tamarindo end of Dec ..

We went for Christmas five years ago. You can rent a variety of surfboards there. We rented new surfboards at High Tide surf shop ( they may call the rental part Tamarindo Adventure ). There was a choice of styles and at the time it was a little cheaper than transporting a board. That being said, I would rather take my own.
    Tamarindo is very well developed with plenty of places to stay from flop houses to luxury accomodations. We stayed at Vista Villas which was nice and your belongings were safe. The breaks at Tamarindo were as crowded as any break in Va Beach ( and this was 5 years ago). It was REALLY crowded over Christmas. We had rented a 4 wheel drive and were able to drive to other breaks but to go to them took a long time. Playa Negra and Avallenas were only a few miles away but it takes 45 minutes to get there because there is no coast road - you have to drive inland and roundabout on unpaved roads that go through creeks to get there. Other parts of the country probably provide less crowded surf that you can access from where you stay. You really need a rental car in Tamarindo. Be warned though, the locals are wonderful people but many of them will steal you blind. First morning we surfed we buried our flip flops next to a log on the beach. It was early and no one was in sight ( this is right at the rivermouth in Tam ). When we came out of the water to get some breakfast they had dug up our flip flops and made off with them. Somebody always has to stay on the beach with your stuff. Again, in a more remote area this may not be the case.

freddy e Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochill93 View Post
    i might go to costa rica at the end of december and this will kinda be my first surf trip. does anyone know if i should pay that bull **** money to ship my board or am i better off renting. im pretty sure im going to tamarindo. also, what is the drinking age there?
    Try to go with American Airlines its only one hundred bucks each way, I know its a rip off but there are alot cheaper than any of the other criminals.

Wink

if u want a solid surf trip, go to Playa Hermosa on the central pacific coast. There is every and anykind of wave your heart desires within an hour N and S. Theres plenty of places to stay and the drinking age (18) is really only enforced at clubs and more americanized bars.

I mean i always bring my boards with me and just suck up the bogus ass airplane fees. But you can find good boards down there for reasonable prices. You wont find any steals, but it may run you the same, maybe a little less if you buy a board in CR.

If u need any travel info or hookups let me know

yea i knew del distributed it, i live in bmore where exactly is atlantic liqours? near ocmd?

yeah lighthouse Liquors usually carries Imperial

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freddy e View Post
    Try to go with American Airlines its only one hundred bucks each way, I know its a rip off but there are alot cheaper than any of the other criminals.
    When I went last Dec-Jan, they charged us $70 each way.

do any of u spongers know how much it costs to bring a bodyboard? cuz maybe ill just do that. but i wouldnt want to be givin any sh*t for bboarding in the lineup

I enjoyed staying in Tamarindo. If you get a rental car you can drive less than an hr to numerous breaks. Check Avellanas, Playa Negra, and Playa Grande. Take a trip to Witches Rock and Ollie's Point. Well worth the money even if it's small. If the surf is flat (which is rare) try a mountain bike tour or a canopy tour, you'll see some interesting animals. When I go back, I am considering renting for a week. They had both shapes at the surf shops in Tamarindo that I ride here on the EC. Drink responsibly. Pura vida!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfista View Post
    I enjoyed staying in Tamarindo. If you get a rental car you can drive less than an hr to numerous breaks. Check Avellanas, Playa Negra, and Playa Grande. Take a trip to Witches Rock and Ollie's Point. Well worth the money even if it's small. If the surf is flat (which is rare) try a mountain bike tour or a canopy tour, you'll see some interesting animals. When I go back, I am considering renting for a week. They had both shapes at the surf shops in Tamarindo that I ride here on the EC. Drink responsibly. Pura vida!

haah my canopy tour was awesome..but its not going to be flat..ive never heard of flat costa