LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Click on swell plots for the open ocean swell data. Click on surfplots for the derived potential potential surf heights.

The surf plots can vary from the text and that is because the same data point and used for the nearby east facing areas.

In any case, Cape May faces south. As mentioned, the more N in the swell direction the more swell will bypass the cape. The swell window there is basically 90(E) to 180(S) degrees. A lot of the nor'easter type systems we have produce at 45(NE) to 80(ENE) degree swell. This mean the swell will bypass cape may, but if there is enough east in the swell, you can see some size get in there. If there is a sizeable NE/ENE swell, swell will refract (bend) into the cape.

As mentioned earlier, use the forecast as guidance, and hopefully you can learn by looking at the forecasted swell direction and such. The forecast is no way going to be able to capture all of the variability at cape may. Tides are crucial there... Sanbars play a big roll as well. Last time I surfed there, the sand at a particular break was really bad. Also there are several places to surf on Cape May (different beach facing directions), all of which react differently to different swells.

thanks as always,swellinfo.
    when you live 85 miles away,but cape may is the easiest drive for south facing breaks on a weekend,the wind is howling out of control surf up here,cape may can produce clean sanctuary.
    oblove the toughguy can come up here and paddle out with me anytime he thinks we run and hide to cape may.
    pick an ice storm in february when i'd otherwise be alone at my beachbreak.
    or,come up today and get hammered for nothing!
    i'd rather surf.
    guess he's never been to chadwick.
    or jenks,for that matter.
    cape may is sometimes an excellent alternative to getting pounded in big chop crap,or waiting around all weekend for it to get good on monday or tuesday.
    it's been great several times this fall.
    i had point-like lefts to myself a few times now,when everybody up here waited it out.
    and you,swellinfo,have been a tremendous help in my study of how and when it works.
    so sincere thanks to you.

Images
    ^^beautiful

Images
    I like surfing cape may when its over 4ft.. can be really fun on the right swell.