LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Place your bets

Place your bets

My guess is the forecast for will decrease for most areas by a foot or two on Saturday. Already shot down a foot..For this area, my guess is it will go from head clean to waist to stomach, occ, chest and sideshore/ semi chop conditions. Never fails..

lol, my brother and I talk about that all the time. The way it looks great, and then 2 days out the winds turn straight east and mess everything up.

sounds about right...

i think it was monday.. me and my friend went out at like 7 when it was suppose to be chest and glassy, and it was sideshore and doubling up everywhere

it's the "Carolina Effect"...cross your fingers and hope for the best.

I told my buddy same thing!-Its always overhead prediction 4-5 days out. Im going to keep original weekend plans and if the surf cooperates then ill surf, if not, i will be in a tree stand every afternoon this weekend.

I'm with you guys. I'll probably go Friday and Sunday regardless. It'd just be nice to have the wind cooperate.

Pfox, what are you shooting?

I guess the moderator is tired of explaining the data. But, here is the dumb-downed version. The onshore prediction is based on off-shore data. The shoals on the East Coast (South of NJ) eat in to that energy. So, when you look at predictions for 4 and 5 days out, the data is accurate. But, as the swell approaches there are several factors that cause the predictions to drop in size. Therefore, instead of complaining about how Swell Info is wrong, just enjoy the fact that you can check the surf without actually going to the beach...like we had to back in the day when the line-up was a lot less crowded.

Keep up the good work Swell Info.

Images
    its all dependent upon the atmospheric model data... In some cases, the GFS model develops coastal lows too strongly 3-5 days out. In other cases it underestimates coastal low pressure development 3-5 days out. The Swellinfo forecast is based off the GFS wind data. There are certainly biases in the models, but we are using the best data available.

Calm down scooter. I wasn't impying that Swellinfo was wrong, I was implying that the conditions were changing. It is possible for the conditions to look favorable, and then change, changing the forecast.

alot of deerS