LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Dredgn

Hybrid View

Dredgn

Does anyone know the truth? I have heard a lot of talk about the start of dredging and would just like to know when it would take place and where. You see i must know in order to stack my vacation time up and use it then. God i can't wait! Its like Christmas for me when i see all that sand violently spewing on the beach. Now i know you surfers out there hate this and cry that it ruins your spots. o boo hoo. For us skimmers its almost a miracle sent from the big man up stairs. So if anybody has some insight please let me know.

Images
    where are you talking about? Each town does their own dredging projects.

well i live in rehoboth but my mom will drive me as far as bethany if the skim is firing.

Images
    what beach are u talking about being dredged?

It is not going to be rehoboth or bethany, since rehoboth was replenished about 3 years ago, and bethany was replenished this past year.

The replinishment in rehoboth destroyed the surf there. There used to be fun right off some of the jetties right in town and it has been crap since (as far as i know). Eventually, the sand bars will likely reform, but it really got destroyed there.

been hearing some rumblings about a MAJOR dredging project slated for the greater broadkill beach area sometime in 2012. but, let's try to keep that on the DL, so to speak.

Skimmin's pretty rad, a little too fast paced and hardcore for my tastes though. Whenever I get a good head of steam and throw down my wafer-thin stick, I just go flyin' off the nose, end over end down into the water. Can't get the hang of it, maybe the sand is too dry up here or I need to throw down a little closer to the beach, I usually start up around the dunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    what beach are u talking about being dredged?

It is not going to be rehoboth or bethany, since rehoboth was replenished about 3 years ago, and bethany was replenished this past year.

The replinishment in rehoboth destroyed the surf there. There used to be fun right off some of the jetties right in town and it has been crap since (as far as i know). Eventually, the sand bars will likely reform, but it really got destroyed there.
    I also heard that Rehoboth was being dredged again in an effort to correct the trench at the shoreline that the last project created. The large number of shorebreak injuries to swimmers being the reason. Not only were several jetty breaks that had worked for decades ruined by the dredging but the amount of back and neck injuries skyrocketed at Bebe. Heard that at the barbershop though and could not verify online so take it with a grain of salt.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Porto View Post
    I also heard that Rehoboth was being dredged again in an effort to correct the trench at the shoreline that the last project created. The large number of shorebreak injuries to swimmers being the reason. Not only were several jetty breaks that had worked for decades ruined by the dredging but the amount of back and neck injuries skyrocketed at Bebe. Heard that at the barbershop though and could not verify online so take it with a grain of salt.
    I wouldnt be surprised to hear the back and neck injuries... They basically created a trench offshore, so the swells move in from deeper water and just surge on to the beach rather than breaking off the beach on sandbars.