LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

smaller breaks in northern nj

I was wondering if anyone can suggest some breaks between Sandy Hook and Manasquan that would typically be smaller than most other breaks this Sunday with the forecasted SSE swell.

I am comfortable in the chest to up to head high range but the forecast is calling for up to 2 foot overhead. Unfortunately the only time i can go out is in the am so it will likely be the peak of this potential swell.

Thanks
    ________
    Airsoft Mp5
    Last edited by surfsup; May 8, 2011 at 04:33 AM.

Honestly, if you are comfortable up to head high, a couple sets that come in overhead wont be much different. It will be clean conditions, stay on the inside and pick off smaller set waves. Stay more towards the shoulder of the peak away from the impact zone.

Plenty of spots within those two areas, do a little research/google earth and you should be able to find a bunch of different breaks between. I'm not going to mention on here out of respect for the locals of each spot.

Charge it and be safe.

Images
    look for something kinda sheltered a spot that faces more north that wont show the full swell...spots before you get to the end of sand hook along that stretch are generally fun and uncrowded but always about 3 feet smaller then the more exposed spots. Spots in a little south of the monmouth area aren't always smaller but certainly are more manageable when its bigger its less steep then other spots n more mushy...hope that helps without callin anyones spot out

Images
    If this swell pans out like every other, then by Sunday it will only be chest to head high at best...so no need to worry.

Images
    Surfsup,

The more north you go on that kind of swell the smaller it will get. The difference in size between Sandy Hook and Manasquan can be very different. You will have to just take a drive and see.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfsup View Post
    I was wondering if anyone can suggest some breaks between Sandy Hook and Manasquan that would typically be smaller than most other breaks this Sunday with the forecasted SSE swell.

I am comfortable in the chest to up to head high range but the forecast is calling for up to 2 foot overhead. Unfortunately the only time i can go out is in the am so it will likely be the peak of this potential swell.

Thanks
    the best way to improve your surfing is to go out when you think its a little more you can handle.. just get a feel for it and pick off the smaller waves then once youre feeling good, take off on some solid ones

Images
    just charge it..take off on what you feel comfortable..if its too big or steep just let it go and let someone else get it..also u dont have to go to the peak of the break your surfing..pretty much all the time i am surfing i get tired of waiting 25 minutes for the sets, paddle in and to the side a little bit..and get small but still fun inside waves

u obviously will get in peoples way if u cant surf an overhead wave so dont even bother going out

dont take set waves and pick your own peak. dont wait your turn in the lineup because you will never get it if you cant keep up with the crew.

may i suggest takin' a few on the knees? i mean, until u get your confidence up.
    KB4L