LOGIN | REGISTER

IR vs OC for sunday

I thought I had a pretty good handle on wave forecasting,but maybe not...over on magic seaweed,they have Indian River with 8.5 foot swell height at 6am for Sunday..but then for OC MD they have 4.5 foot swell height at the same time...I just don't get the stark difference...and with a southeast swell as predicted...wouldn't that make OC more likely to pick it up?

Images
    yes, OC generally picks up a S swell better since it faces more south.

Quote Originally Posted by fulltilt720 View Post
    I thought I had a pretty good handle on wave forecasting,but maybe not...over on magic seaweed,they have Indian River with 8.5 foot swell height at 6am for Sunday..but then for OC MD they have 4.5 foot swell height at the same time...I just don't get the stark difference...and with a southeast swell as predicted...wouldn't that make OC more likely to pick it up?
    Magic seaweed almost always gets the Delaware vs. Ocean City forecast wrong. Lots of threads on this topic already. The consensus seems to be MSW is worthless. That crazy forecast confirms it.

Images
    I would have to disagree that MSW is worthless, there are times when it is dead on and other forecasters are not. There does seem to be something wrong with MSW forecasting for IR, it is a well documented fact that it always shows IR much bigger then OC and it rarely is. I have always figured that there is a mistake in the math for that break or something. Anyway, I ignore MSW wave height estimate for IR and use my own judgement for that break.

Images
    MSW is always a couple feet bigger and sometimes they combine different swells into one(1 ft ENE,1ft SE, and 1ft SSW do not add up to a 3 ft wave.) The spectral forcasts are mostly accurate, but is an offshore swell.