LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    when the phytoplankton known as dinoflagellate are disturbed they emit light for about a second. sometimes at night when they are around the sand glows for a second after you step on it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post
    I saw it too...... not as crazy as you described though....it's rare up here in NJ....goto FL they get it bad.
    I saw small traces of it last year. Wasn't near as interesting. Just like when the waves would crash up on the shore, you would see all the blue and green specs after the water receded.

Images

I don't know about Karenia, it probably does cause respiratory irritation, but it's definitely been known before that. Pyrrophyta, a type of red algae, also can be harmful because it has a paralytic toxin in it for self defense, shell fish eat them and are immune, but if people eat too many shellfish with the algaes toxin built up they can get Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP)....learned about it in marine bio freshman year, but from what i hear it's very rare because shellfish are run under fresh/cleaner water for several days to weeks before bein sold as food to prevent it. I just stick to what I catch myself

when a wave breaks or you throw a rock the water lights up... its pretty cool but not the greatest thing in the world

I've seen it in tropical climates (northern austrailia, fiji, hawaii), but the plankton glowed green instyead of blue, and never as intense as you saw