LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: sore/cramps

Hybrid View

sore/cramps

does anyone else get cramps while they're surfing? I usually get them on my hamstrings after a while (2-3) hours nonstop water time. Also, when the waters a little chilly and i'm not wearing a wetsuit or the waters cold and i'm only wearing a spring suit, my arms get sore really fast. I'm very active (I swim 2-4 miles a day nov.-march) so I don't know whats causing these.

Dehydration is usually the cause in most cases.

I get them occasionly, drink some gatorade or eat something healthy before you go out.

Images

Hydration

. . . and of course Potassium, so eat Bananas and other high potassium foods.

Yeah, I have gotten them in my calves after a couple of hours out in cold water. Especially if there are lulls. Gotta try to stay warm and loose. Like the previous people have said - force yourself to take a break and hydrate! I stretch before, during and after as well. Maybe some windmills for your arms to keep the blood in them.
    Last edited by mtd; Oct 30, 2008 at 11:05 AM.

stretching before and after should help that alot

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme*Liquidshredda View Post
    does anyone else get cramps while they're surfing? I usually get them on my hamstrings after a while (2-3) hours nonstop water time. Also, when the waters a little chilly and i'm not wearing a wetsuit or the waters cold and i'm only wearing a spring suit, my arms get sore really fast. I'm very active (I swim 2-4 miles a day nov.-march) so I don't know whats causing these.

Its a sign of weakness. I would stop surfing now before it gets to late and you lose your legs.

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    i only get sore if the lineup is really far out or im paddling over to masonboro down at wb and am in a wetsuit. but usually i eat healthy (sometimes) but mostly i dont eat healthy cause i burn like more than the usuall human in calories since im so active all the time. but i eat like bannanas and drink tons of gatorade and stretch before and after surfing and eat some sugar. but my legs like after i get off a wave i like pull something in my knee and it hurts and cant bend it for liek10 min is that safe. but just eat the right food thats on thre food pyramid unless your me, then you goota eat more.

Images
    There are two notable times that I got a cramp so bad that I wanted to get out:

1. I went up to sit on my board and my hip (?) hurts like heck whenever my legs spread out.
    2. Took a wave, wiped-out, immediate charlie-horse. They're scary when you're surfing because you can't move

My dad said that he read that the dye used in Gatorade is like a poison and some kid drank too much during football and like passed out or died or something. Personally, I'd go with water, just because it's what God meant for us to drink, and it's so nourishing yet it's pure...
    If I surf in the morning, I eat like a banana, and i stretch before every session (I forgot though last session ).

But I haven't gotten a cramp in a while...

ok thanks, i think i figured it out. im probably a little dehydrated after surfing for a few hours