LOGIN | REGISTER

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    "Spread the wealth/waves"

    You've worked extremely hard to pay your dues - surfing. You now have the strength, stamina and confidence to paddle out through thick overhead beachbreak barrels and score 25 - 30 waves in a three hour session. But you're getting way more than your share! While you're scoring a wave every six minutes, some other surfers who have not put in the time/work are having to wait 30 minutes or more between waves. Gee, wouldn't it be better for all if we spread the wealth/waves and awarded 20 of your hard-earned paddle-for-position takeoffs to your fellow surfers? Wouldn't that make it a better world? Do we really want a president and congress with that mentality?

  2. #2
    dude, as a surfer you should know there is more to life than money. If you traveled a bit you might actually have noticed a correlation between happiness and generosity, both in the water and in people's lives.
    Hang loose!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    central li, topsail island nc
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by fumier View Post
    dude, as a surfer you should know there is more to life than money. If you traveled a bit you might actually have noticed a correlation between happiness and generosity, both in the water and in people's lives.
    Hang loose!

    100% true.. well said

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by fumier View Post
    dude, as a surfer you should know there is more to life than money. If you traveled a bit you might actually have noticed a correlation between happiness and generosity, both in the water and in people's lives.
    Hang loose!
    Very true. Trouble is that when someone in authority (whether it be the 'wave police' or the govenment) tells you that you must give up what you've worked very hard for, it no longer falls in the category of "generosity." I've voluntarily given up lots of waves for surfers who aren't as strong paddling - but are out there trying - and it feels good to help. I've also reached into my pocket for some cash to help people in need. That feels good too.

    But please don't ORDER me to give up a certain number of waves for someone who doesn't have the same desire to work for those waves, and please don't ORDER me to reach deeper into my pocket so that those who don't choose to work as hard as I, have an equal slice of the American dream. Somehow, I think we are all better off in a society that recognizes our achievements are directly related to the degree of our efforts.

  5. #5
    I guess my point was that your vote reflects on your generosity.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by LateTakeOff View Post
    You've worked extremely hard to pay your dues - surfing. You now have the strength, stamina and confidence to paddle out through thick overhead beachbreak barrels and score 25 - 30 waves in a three hour session. But you're getting way more than your share! While you're scoring a wave every six minutes, some other surfers who have not put in the time/work are having to wait 30 minutes or more between waves. Gee, wouldn't it be better for all if we spread the wealth/waves and awarded 20 of your hard-earned paddle-for-position takeoffs to your fellow surfers? Wouldn't that make it a better world? Do we really want a president and congress with that mentality?
    If you have worked hard for that wave and your in the takeoff spot then go for it but theres also no need to be a **** in the water and catch every wave blocking or dropping in on other guys... longboarders should also let a few go to the inside so there not taking all the good waves

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LateTakeOff View Post
    Very true. Trouble is that when someone in authority (whether it be the 'wave police' or the govenment) tells you that you must give up what you've worked very hard for, it no longer falls in the category of "generosity." I've voluntarily given up lots of waves for surfers who aren't as strong paddling - but are out there trying - and it feels good to help. I've also reached into my pocket for some cash to help people in need. That feels good too.

    But please don't ORDER me to give up a certain number of waves for someone who doesn't have the same desire to work for those waves, and please don't ORDER me to reach deeper into my pocket so that those who don't choose to work as hard as I, have an equal slice of the American dream. Somehow, I think we are all better off in a society that recognizes our achievements are directly related to the degree of our efforts.

    agree with ya wholeheartedly. I'm frankly scared to see what America will look like if this election turns out the way its looking it will