LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    for anyone whos computer is running slugish on windows, then before buying a new computer, you may want to try reformating the hard drive and starting from scratch. This generally makes a big difference.

Also there are free online scans for viruses, adware, spyware and other things that cause Windows to run slow.

Images
    chris, have you tried 'get data back.' it's a software program that is pretty good at recovering files off of a busted hard drive. I had a similar experience happen on my school laptop and i managed to save quite a few files. It wasn't everything but better than nothing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    for anyone whos computer is running slugish on windows, then before buying a new computer, you may want to try reformating the hard drive and starting from scratch. This generally makes a big difference.
    Or download Ubuntu.

Open source OS

Quote Originally Posted by beaner View Post
    chris, have you tried 'get data back.' it's a software program that is pretty good at recovering files off of a busted hard drive. I had a similar experience happen on my school laptop and i managed to save quite a few files. It wasn't everything but better than nothing.
    Yeah, I am an IT expert for the most part. The issue is the drive is external and my system will not read it through eSATA, Firewire or USB 2.0. I am pretty much screwed and forced to send it back to WD. At least they replaced it for free. No matter what I plug it into as far as all my PCs and Laptops, it says the drive needs formatted and only has 512KB of space. The drive is 1 TB. The reformat fails and I used all the WD tools and it fails everything possible when it comes to recovery options.

I just hope they cannot recover it or never try to. Lucky for me I had all my HD footage still on tapes so I recovered all that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbing View Post
    Or download Ubuntu.

Open source OS
    Ubuntu FTW

WBSURF - someone said it already, but you are going to have to slave the old hard drive. You will not be able to boot if both hard drives on the IDE cable have the jumper set to master, or primary. Once you set the master/slave relationship appropriately, the old HD will come up as another drive, possibly drive "D: or E:" depending on your setup, and you can access everything on it and pull stuff off.

If that doesn't work, you can purchase a hot-drive, which is basically connects the hard drive to a USB port via a cable. Think of it working like a big jump(thumb)-drive.

If these don't work, than you're HD may be beyond repair. If it's a physical hardware issue, you may be SOL.

Good luck.

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuckinVA View Post
    WBSURF - someone said it already, but you are going to have to slave the old hard drive. You will not be able to boot if both hard drives on the IDE cable have the jumper set to master, or primary. Once you set the master/slave relationship appropriately, the old HD will come up as another drive, possibly drive "D: or E:" depending on your setup, and you can access everything on it and pull stuff off.

If that doesn't work, you can purchase a hot-drive, which is basically connects the hard drive to a USB port via a cable. Think of it working like a big jump(thumb)-drive.

If these don't work, than you're HD may be beyond repair. If it's a physical hardware issue, you may be SOL.

Good luck.
    thats kind of what were worried about is being sol since the computer is only like 2-3 years old and we trully dont want to buy a new one with the economy but my dad id gonna get his friend thast does the computer systme at international paper to looka t it for us. we just dont want to buy a new one since in like 3 years ill be going off to college and getting a laptop. but thanks everyone for your help.

I'm a little confused. The computer itself should be fine, right? Aren't you saying that the hard drive is what died? Try removing the old HD from the system and try to boot it up using only the new hard drive attached. (I'm going on the assumption that you installed an operating system on the new hard drive). I'm not sure why you would buy a new computer if your problem is the hard drive.

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    yeah i know that but what my parents are hoping are that the new hd will do were hoping that when the old hd got fried it didnt fry anything else.