LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil Surfboards

Hybrid View

Coil Surfboards

I've been looking around to possibly buy a new board and I ran into a review of one of these boards. Apparently they're really durable and ride pretty well, but run way cheaper than most non-poly boards. Plus the guys are east coast shapers which is always a plus (they're out of Florida I think)

Anyways I was looking for a durable and cheap board for good surf (chest high and +) and was wondering from the people who own these boards how they ride, especially in good swells. Plus how much it costs to have the board shipped, as I'm from NJ.

Also if you have any other suggestions for a nice durable board that I can afford (I'll be driving soon so I need $$$ a car and gas). Thanks everyone.

try an NSP epoxy

are you serious?????

[QUOTE=VA LONGBOARD;22993]try an NSP epoxy[/QUOTE
    Coil boards are far better. NPS are for people that should stay on the beach. Coils are better in every way. Durable and SEXY. Simply sick! Well worth 700 delivered to your door.

I own a Coil. You can order them shaped by Mike Daniel through No Flat Earth in Brick. They ride absolutely sick. The flex is incredible off the bottom turn, they are light, durable, and stay bright white. I smacked mine into my door on the way outta the house the other day and nothing. Not a mark. I really thought there would be a ding. No foot dents yet on mine, although I have seen very very slight ones on older Coils. They are super durable and ride more like poly than any of the other new tech boards, but at the same time have much better flex. Firewires feel like dead flex to me, Coil's feel more alive. I can't recommend them enough. Do it! You will have a sick board that will last a long time. Very good investment. Plus your money is going to east coast shapers and glassers (Yup in Florida). You will get a hand shaped board built with love by other east coast surfers. Do it, now.

$$$

How much $ ?

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyNick View Post
    How much $ ?
    I sent an email to the guys at coil and looked around. Its pretty much around $600 for a shortboard, which includes fins. So its much cheaper than firewires and even the surftech tl2 ones. I own a custom epoxy from todd proctor (like an everyday board), and it is absolutely amazing, but really expensive (i think it came to over 800 with the shipping). I obviously can't afford another one so i'm lookin around for a good wave board that i can afford right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JerzMan View Post
    I sent an email to the guys at coil and looked around. Its pretty much around $600 for a shortboard, which includes fins. So its much cheaper than firewires and even the surftech tl2 ones. I own a custom epoxy from todd proctor (like an everyday board), and it is absolutely amazing, but really expensive (i think it came to over 800 with the shipping). I obviously can't afford another one so i'm lookin around for a good wave board that i can afford right now.
    I just ordered a Coil step up from Mark at No Flat Earth in Brick. Mark knows his stuff but prior to my ordering I had a few lengthy e-mails back and forth with Mike from coil to get my board dims dialed in before ordering. Mike really, really, REALLY, knows his stuff. Out of all the shapers I have talked to over the years he gave me the most feedback yet.

These boards supposedly kick ass and a lot of people are really stoked on them. I am stoked on the order and if all goes well I will be ordering a every day shorty after my trip. I need to get some extensive testing done on the step-up first.

P.S. Mark from NFE will be stocking coils come spring.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMD View Post
    P.S. Mark from NFE will be stocking coils come spring.
    If Mark does do this, then will the price be driven down a little? Or brought up? NFE rules and its the only store I've bought my gear from and I've always loved their board stock. Just every now and again, I come across a board a little out of place in terms of price. Plus, I'm gonna need a new shortboard soon, all these little head-high swells are putting it down.

Quote Originally Posted by JerzMan View Post
    I own a custom epoxy from todd proctor (like an everyday board), and it is absolutely amazing, but really expensive (i think it came to over 800 with the shipping). I obviously can't afford another one so i'm lookin around for a good wave board that i can afford right now.
    I was actually looking to get a custom epoxy from Todd Proctor, but I'm looking at $880 with shipping. I saw the article in ESM about Coil surfboards, then ran across them in a surf shop yesterday. They are in the $500-$600 range. What are your recommendations? Save up the money for a Todd Proctor, or go with an equally(?) good board from Coil. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I live near Melbourne, FL.

Coils >>>>> epoxy.