LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 93

Thread: Coil Surfboards

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,528
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Watch out man, those things are more addictive than tobaccco. I want me another, which I'm sure will just lead to me wanting another. That's how I got up to a 2 pack a day Coil habit.

    How wide are you thinking for that fishy?

    Börk, börk, börk! Here fishy, fishy fish.
    ~ The Swedish Chef
    So what your saying is this board is terrible, dually noted. Haven't really decided on any dimensions yet, just got started with talking to Mike over there and he said that this would be a good stepping stone to the smaller boards since i'm riding his 6'10" WRV Funfish shape right now, he said it's basically a scaled down version of that.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,528
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    dp that board is sick! Buy it! I have a 6'4 fish that looks eerily similar to that and it has seen some barrels! No experience with COIL though, mine is wrv.
    Yeah man i'm getting fired up just thinking about pick up day. Haven't nailed down the dims yet, but he suggested this one 1st and foremost based on what i'm riding currently (see my post to Zagaffer). I asked him if he would suggest any other shapes to get a comparision but i like how this one looks.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Looks like i'm going to be putting my deposit down pretty soon get started on a new board. Haven't nailed down the shape yet, but so far Mike is suggesting the Flashback Fish in the 6'4" range. Anybody have experience with this shape? I found some pics of it, it looks pretty sweet. Not sure if this is exactly what i'm getting, just getting ideas. Attachment 6568Attachment 6569Attachment 6570Attachment 6571
    I have a flashback fish. Had Mike do a roundtail on mine. It's 6'5", 5 fin fusion. I ride it as a quad in smaller stuff, and tri in bigger stuff

    Board has a ton of range. Works in tiny surf as long as the wave has some form to it. In tiny mush it's not the call, but tiny waves with form, it works great.

    It has a wide nose, so it catches waves easy, but on a solid wave it still has a very shortboard feel. Hard to explain. Mine packs volume, but the tail is pretty foiled, so it grabs into the wave face well. It also handles a late drop better than expected given the wider nose.

    I've run it from knee high up to a few feet overhead with no complaints. It handles everything in between. If I could only keep one board, it would be this one.

    Mike is great. If you are honest with yourself, and him about your abilities and what you want/need out of the board, he'll likely nail it. He has a lot of experience.

    For reference, this board was shaped for me at 6' 215 lbs.

    I have 2 coils, and I love them. One thing I've noticed though, they need rider imput. If your a stand there and cruise guy, it's not an ideal choice. However, if you know how to generate speed, these boards will fly!

    Also, the first ride or two feel different. I guess due to the flex. makes you feel kooky for a min or two before you adjust.

  4. #44






    The coil springs out of the bottom turn. Then again that could simply be my 215 lbs loading up on it. I call these last 3 pics..."fat guy on a little board"

    Actually, I had Mike make me a disc that's 5'11". That's my little board.....My longboard buster.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,528
    Quote Originally Posted by pkovo View Post
    The coil springs out of the bottom turn. Then again that could simply be my 215 lbs loading up on it. I call these last 3 pics..."fat guy on a little board"

    Actually, I had Mike make me a disc that's 5'11". That's my little board.....My longboard buster.
    Nice looking board man, sounds like you really are sold on em. I haven't heard anything negative about them so I figured i would give them a shot, and I can just drive over and pick it up instead of paying for the shipping. I'm 5'9", 170-175 lbs, low level intermediate surfer, I have some shoulder issues that hold me back a little so my goal was to go shorter but still have plenty of volume under my chest to help with my paddling. I want something that's easy to get into waves on but performs with some juice behind it. I have my other boards for smaller surf, so i'm looking at mostly using this one in the chest - 2-3ft overhead range. And like you said, on those smaller days where there is still good form to the wave too.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Nice looking board man, sounds like you really are sold on em. I haven't heard anything negative about them so I figured i would give them a shot, and I can just drive over and pick it up instead of paying for the shipping. I'm 5'9", 170-175 lbs, low level intermediate surfer, I have some shoulder issues that hold me back a little so my goal was to go shorter but still have plenty of volume under my chest to help with my paddling. I want something that's easy to get into waves on but performs with some juice behind it. I have my other boards for smaller surf, so i'm looking at mostly using this one in the chest - 2-3ft overhead range. And like you said, on those smaller days where there is still good form to the wave too.
    I'm totally sold on them. Off the rack boards don' fit me, and even if they did, they fall apart under my heavy feet very quickly. Add to that, and off the rack Merrick or Rusty will cost me the same as a custom Coil, and it's a no brainer for me. The only crummy thing about a coil is the wait.

    I think you'll probably be happy with this. It's a perfect blend of fish and shortboard characteristics for me. It's my go to in chest to head. I love it. I've had true retro fish boards, and rocket fish boards, but I like this one much better. I don't know how much of that is just the fact that it's a solid proven shape, or that it was built specifically for me, my size ability etc.. Whatever, it works

    I have an office job, three kids under 5yrs old, and a growing belly holding me back..... :-)

    If I ever get into decent shape again, and surf with frequency, I would consider having one made with a pulled in tail for bigger hollow days. Mike has done a version like that for a few people.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,528
    Quote Originally Posted by pkovo View Post
    I'm totally sold on them. Off the rack boards don' fit me, and even if they did, they fall apart under my heavy feet very quickly. Add to that, and off the rack Merrick or Rusty will cost me the same as a custom Coil, and it's a no brainer for me. The only crummy thing about a coil is the wait.

    I think you'll probably be happy with this. It's a perfect blend of fish and shortboard characteristics for me. It's my go to in chest to head. I love it. I've had true retro fish boards, and rocket fish boards, but I like this one much better. I don't know how much of that is just the fact that it's a solid proven shape, or that it was built specifically for me, my size ability etc.. Whatever, it works

    I have an office job, three kids under 5yrs old, and a growing belly holding me back..... :-)

    If I ever get into decent shape again, and surf with frequency, I would consider having one made with a pulled in tail for bigger hollow days. Mike has done a version like that for a few people.
    Sounds like a good fit for me then. I'm just trying to decide on the tail and color scheme. Right now i'm leaning toward the swallow tail but i'm open to suggestions. For color i'm thinking black under the grid, and maybe a black / red stomp pad (never had a stomp pad before but thinking it might be a good idea). Not 100% decided though, i've been checking his photo gallery and the different options. It looks sharp with the black and red FCS fins.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,528
    I pulled the trigger this morning, got my deposit in, and the process begins...

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    where are lbcrew and nj42 on this noticeably silent?

    Lol! I didn't even see this before!
    I love looking at coils, but I don't own one & have never ridden one, so I don't really know much about them beyond what I've read on the interwebs. They seem pretty legit, though...my main hesitation in ordering one is that I'm no fan of epoxy construction, so it's hard for me to shell out that kind of cash for something I might end up hating.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,528
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    Lol! I didn't even see this before!
    I love looking at coils, but I don't own one & have never ridden one, so I don't really know much about them beyond what I've read on the interwebs. They seem pretty legit, though...my main hesitation in ordering one is that I'm no fan of epoxy construction, so it's hard for me to shell out that kind of cash for something I might end up hating.
    Tell you what, i'll let you take mine for a spin if you are ever in Florida so you can find out for yourself HAHA, but going to have to wait till around March / April, it's a 12 week wait right now.