LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil Surfboards

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Not yet. Unfortunately it was a new board, thus there haven't been any waves. I may get a couple cracks on it tomorrow if the forecast holds, we'll see...

One thing to keep in mind, the new tech is something like 20% lighter than the Grid and as or more durable!
    Thanks for getting back to me, The ole new board curse huh? HAHA, it looks like something may be on the way, so i'll be looking forward to the ride reports on it. I was just was curious how it felt and performed, but i'm sure it's just as good or better than the grid, I was considering sticking with the grid for my FBF because I usually go with the "wait and see" attitude on anything brand spankin new, but after some discussion and thought I told Mike to go ahead and sign me up for the "kick", i mean might as well right?

check out greenlightsurfco.com...u can buy a shaping package for around 300bucks.i been shaping my own boards for a while,and they work great.basically if u werent a complete failure in woodshop anyone can build a board.they have an instruction dvd + 100 youtube videos.if u know how to use a handsaw and a planer,youll be in good shape.i use all usblanks.its like 90$ for a blank.figure u buy a shaping kit for 300,now u have all the basic tools,buy a blank for a 100 and u can shape your own board.maybe in the nearby future,if i can find a market for people who want handshaped boards vs. boards made on machines,i can sell them for around 300$.beats paying 750 for an al merrick or lost board.if u got an old longboard u dont use,u can even mess around and cut it down and make it a fish.i shaped a total of 9 boards,definitly a great investment

and ps for the guys who are like why would i buy a board off this kook,well many pro surfers are shaping their own boards like andrew droid doheny,dane reynolds,slaterbater,etc..try it out for yourself if your into arts and crafts

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    check out greenlightsurfco.com...u can buy a shaping package for around 300bucks.i been shaping my own boards for a while,and they work great.basically if u werent a complete failure in woodshop anyone can build a board.they have an instruction dvd + 100 youtube videos.if u know how to use a handsaw and a planer,youll be in good shape.i use all usblanks.its like 90$ for a blank.figure u buy a shaping kit for 300,now u have all the basic tools,buy a blank for a 100 and u can shape your own board.maybe in the nearby future,if i can find a market for people who want handshaped boards vs. boards made on machines,i can sell them for around 300$.beats paying 750 for an al merrick or lost board.if u got an old longboard u dont use,u can even mess around and cut it down and make it a fish.i shaped a total of 9 boards,definitly a great investment
    I told myself I would shape a surfboard as soon as I build my first boat. Been talking about doing the boat for a couple years now.... time is hard to come by.

As for Coils... let's just say they are on a different tip than anyone else. Space Coast leaving SoCal in the dust!

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me, The ole new board curse huh? HAHA, it looks like something may be on the way, so i'll be looking forward to the ride reports on it. I was just was curious how it felt and performed, but i'm sure it's just as good or better than the grid, I was considering sticking with the grid for my FBF because I usually go with the "wait and see" attitude on anything brand spankin new, but after some discussion and thought I told Mike to go ahead and sign me up for the "kick", i mean might as well right?
    So is the new tech the same price as the grid or is there an upcharge?

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    and ps for the guys who are like why would i buy a board off this kook,well many pro surfers are shaping their own boards like andrew droid doheny,dane reynolds,slaterbater,etc..try it out for yourself if your into arts and crafts
    Dude, there's a huge difference between my back yard boards and guys who do it everyday. Shaping boards is fun, you're right, some of them ride great and the soul is where it's at. But, you get what you pay for and Coil is the best out there right now. Don't believe me, get one.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    So is the new tech the same price as the grid or is there an upcharge?
    Here's what Mike said a couple days ago on Sways:

It is called Kick.

Any board in process that hasn't already been bagged can be switched over at no cost. Color options deleted.

It's a significant leap in fiber-to-resin ratio, so Kick is both lighter and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Dude, there's a huge difference between my back yard boards and guys who do it everyday. Shaping boards is fun, you're right, some of them ride great and the soul is where it's at. But, you get what you pay for and Coil is the best out there right now. Don't believe me, get one.
    Couldn't have said it any better myself. Although i've never shaped a board personally, i'd sure love to one day when i have the space at home and the time to dedicate. But if I want the best board possible, I won't be building it myself. Mike Daniel's is the man, and nobody is doing what Coil is doing with their tech, so I'm willing to pay double what it cost to make my own. Good suggestion though Cepriano, something I definitely plan to do a bit down the road, probably after I buy a house in the next year or so.

I have owned Firewire boards for years and I don't really like parabolic stringers anymore, since the boards are prone to breaking easily. Yes, parabolic stringers give the boards more flexibility and board feel is really good, but you sacrifice durability of the board for this. Over time, the boards become "weaker" in the middle due to constant flex, and eventually "snap" in half. Only traditionally stringered boards for me from now on....

Quote Originally Posted by surfsolo View Post
    I have owned Firewire boards for years and I don't really like parabolic stringers anymore, since the boards are prone to breaking easily. Yes, parabolic stringers give the boards more flexibility and board feel is really good, but you sacrifice durability of the board for this. Over time, the boards become "weaker" in the middle due to constant flex, and eventually "snap" in half. Only traditionally stringered boards for me from now on....
    Coil's don't have a stringer, doesn't need one.