LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Coil Surfboards

Quote Originally Posted by dawnpatrol1187 View Post
    Looks nice, real nice. The Honeycombs on the deck look different then some of the "kick" boards I have been seeing on Swaylocks. I wonder what the difference is? They looked like the had the same grid material under the "kick." Yours is the first I have seen that has the Honeycomb looking fiber. Did you order it that way? Hope you enjoy it, looking forward to reading your review.
    Thanks man, it was a total surprise honestly, I didn't ask for anything specific but what I’ve been noticing is that no one board has been the same since they started using "kick", most everybody has gotten a slightly different board from what I can see, so i guess they are experimenting with some different looks

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Hey Gaff, are you riding the FBF as a quad or tri? I'm about to get mine wet for the 1st time and wondering what others prefer. I've never ridden a quad but I got the option now so i'm curious what others have found after trying it both ways.
    Figured I’d reply on the Coil thread and not hijack the other one.

I’ve ridden my FBF as both a tri and a quad. I bought it on 3/22; but didn’t get it out until the next Sunday since I had to fix the FCS plug. Since then, it’s all I’ve been riding and I’ve had it in 2-3’ to solid overhead (this last weekend was not too shabby). I liked it a lot as a thruster when I caught the wave, but I was finding that there was a lot of drag. I was having to overcome a lot of inertia on the first couple of paddles. I was running TC Aqualines (just like in your pics, only with a lot more nicks and scratches) the first couple of times, but I felt like the cant on the sides was just too much. I tried some K-grip carbon lites and liked those a lot better. Still felt like someone was tugging on my leash. I wasn’t catching smaller, mushier waves and anything without some juice was just slipping by. Stuff that I could make on a HPSB of what feels like the same volume with ease. I wasn’t making it around some crumbling sections I knew I should have too. I didn’t have a set of quads sitting around, but I scored some magic fins last Saturday. They’re the best fins I have ever used. Full Story Here

I tried it with those and haven’t taken them off. Everything that I felt was a shortcoming about the board went away. That little tug I felt on the first couple of paddles, gone. The bogging down on slower sections, gone. Thing flies now and the mushy waves I was falling off the back of no matter how I hard I paddled, I’m making with ease. I love it as a quad. The board bridges the gap in my modern board quiver between my Dumpster Diver and my Qualifier.

All that being said, your board and my board may have the same last name, but I’m not sure they’re related. The biggest difference is that your board has a fish tail and mine has a round squash (not a fan of the fish). You’ve also got a lot more board, 4 inches longer and 10 more liters of volume, that’s a big difference. My board’s a 6’ x 21” x 2 5/8 and 1.24ft³ and I’m a hair under 6’2” and weigh in at an even 2 bills with rubber. I don’t think the two boards are going to perform the same way at all, even if they were on the same wave with the same rider. A bigger board with a fish tail will catch waves much more easily and probably go faster in a straight line, but it’s not going to turn the same way.

Anyway get a set of quads, I’m not sure what it will do, but I bet it’s different. Just out of curiosity, what did the Coil guys say to ride it as?

Also, anybody got a MegaMind around 1.3 ft³ they want to sell me?

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Figured I’d reply on the Coil thread and not hijack the other one.

I’ve ridden my FBF as both a tri and a quad. I bought it on 3/22; but didn’t get it out until the next Sunday since I had to fix the FCS plug. Since then, it’s all I’ve been riding and I’ve had it in 2-3’ to solid overhead (this last weekend was not too shabby). I liked it a lot as a thruster when I caught the wave, but I was finding that there was a lot of drag. I was having to overcome a lot of inertia on the first couple of paddles. I was running TC Aqualines (just like in your pics, only with a lot more nicks and scratches) the first couple of times, but I felt like the cant on the sides was just too much. I tried some K-grip carbon lites and liked those a lot better. Still felt like someone was tugging on my leash. I wasn’t catching smaller, mushier waves and anything without some juice was just slipping by. Stuff that I could make on a HPSB of what feels like the same volume with ease. I wasn’t making it around some crumbling sections I knew I should have too. I didn’t have a set of quads sitting around, but I scored some magic fins last Saturday. They’re the best fins I have ever used. Full Story Here

I tried it with those and haven’t taken them off. Everything that I felt was a shortcoming about the board went away. That little tug I felt on the first couple of paddles, gone. The bogging down on slower sections, gone. Thing flies now and the mushy waves I was falling off the back of no matter how I hard I paddled, I’m making with ease. I love it as a quad. The board bridges the gap in my modern board quiver between my Dumpster Diver and my Qualifier.

All that being said, your board and my board may have the same last name, but I’m not sure they’re related. The biggest difference is that your board has a fish tail and mine has a round squash (not a fan of the fish). You’ve also got a lot more board, 4 inches longer and 10 more liters of volume, that’s a big difference. My board’s a 6’ x 21” x 2 5/8 and 1.24ft³ and I’m a hair under 6’2” and weigh in at an even 2 bills with rubber. I don’t think the two boards are going to perform the same way at all, even if they were on the same wave with the same rider. A bigger board with a fish tail will catch waves much more easily and probably go faster in a straight line, but it’s not going to turn the same way.

Anyway get a set of quads, I’m not sure what it will do, but I bet it’s different. Just out of curiosity, what did the Coil guys say to ride it as?

Also, anybody got a MegaMind around 1.3 ft³ they want to sell me?
    Thanks for the report, sounds like you found the magic setup for your board. I have the tri / quad fin set so i'm just going to play around with em and see what happens. Under any circumstances would you ever see a reason to use all 5? I get what your saying about our boards being brothers from another mother, totally agree, especially mine being a swallow tail (my preference), it's got plenty of volume and floats really well, was able to play a little game called just the tip last night in some 2ft Gulf wind slop, wasn't much of a test run but she was fun. I love how the kick makes the wax perfect and it just sticks to your feet, big bonus.

Ok, so since I posted this i've had a chance to get her into some 2-3ft waves and test out the lower end. 1st i'd like to say a big thanks to Mike Daniel, Kirk Brasington and co. for making me such a bad ass board. This thing absolutely flies down the line and goes pretty much anywhere my mind wants to go. I was able to catch more waves in one session than I have caught in my last 5 using my other boards. I surfed for 4.5hrs straight with no break and didn't even want to leave when I did because I couldn't stop catching waves.

1st thing I thought was, wow this thing feels very familiar, amost like an ole girl i've been with before. Then I noticed how goood it paddles, how early it gets into the wave, and stable it is on the drop, and then.... the SPEED! I was cruising a lot farther down the line than and through flat sections with ease, and the turns and cutbacks I was pulling off were better than i've ever done before. Long boarders were having a hard time keeping up (and it was LB waves), which was a fun feeling. What a day I had, and the conditions weren't anything to write home about, it was all about the board. Now i'm really stoked to bring her with me to PR to get into some good waves and open her up.
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Apr 15, 2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Finally got some waves to give a ride report